PHP session mix up

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by jpcyrenne, Jan 6, 2022.

1. jpcyrenne

jpcyrenne Member HowtoForge Supporter

Good day,

Running ISPConfig 3.2.7p1on Ubuntu 20.04.3

This might be a Programming or PHP problem itself more than a ISPConfig, but I followed the Prefect Server and I'm hoping you could help me help client having a problem with sessions...

I'm a SysAdmin, not a Dev, trying to help a Dev in a DevOps culture.
    I understand old sessions are being used on the server. Could there be a 'PHP session mix up' caused by a server installation/configuration?
    I see some 2 day old sessions in the /tmp folder for example.
    I've read articles that mention it's best to manage sessions in the app. Does this make sense? (you guys are pros!).

I guess my questions would be:
    - Is there such a thing as a 'PHP session mix up' ?
    - Is there something that could be done on the server to help with this issue? Making sure a session is deleted after 30 minutes for example. Seems I read that the garbage/cleanup isn't trustable?
    - Any other recommendations would be very appreciated.

Ref : https://stackoverflow.com/questions/520237/how-do-i-expire-a-php-session-after-30-minutes

Thanks in advance for your help,
    JP Cyrenne

2. Th0m

Th0m ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Why do you think that PHP sessions are mixed up? What are you seeing? In which software?

Sessions get deleted automatically, cleaning it every 30 minutes might solve it for 99% of the cases but it's not the fix you are looking for.

3. jpcyrenne

jpcyrenne Member HowtoForge Supporter

Thanks for the validations. It doesn't seem like it's a server side issue (config), but more an app issue (custom app, session management). I'll have a talk with the developer.

Thank you again,

JP

Th0m likes this.