Php7.4 is released

Discussion in 'Tips/Tricks/Mods' started by ahrasis, Nov 29, 2019.

1. ahrasis

ahrasis Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

elmacus likes this.
  2. florian030

florian030 ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

there is also a tutorial on howtoforge "How to install PHP 7.4 as PHP-FPM & FastCGI for ISPConfig 3 on Ubuntu 18.04" - currently the state is pending-

till and ustoopia like this.
  3. ahrasis

I believe ondrej sury repo is ready with php7.4 packages. I have not installed it on my servers yet.

4. ustoopia

ustoopia Member

Looking forward to it :)

5. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

6. ahrasis

Since ondrej sury is ready for php7.4 I think will install using his php ppa instead of self compiled method as suggested in the tutorial.

7. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

I recommend using the ondrej packages as well.

Neptun and ahrasis like this.
  8. ustoopia

ustoopia Member

May I ask why? I'm curious.. Besides of course the ammount of time it willl take to install & compile, what are the pro/cons of using ondrej's versus compiling??

9. Steini86

Steini86 Active Member

Pro: It is much easier to do automated security patches installation with the package manager than to compile each ~week a new version (almost nobody does it and then runs an outdated version) (https://wiki.debian.org/UnattendedUpgrades)
    Pro: ondrej's packages are usually tested and are compatible to each other. For compiling, you have to take into account all dependencies and their versions. If you script the compilation now, there is no guarantee it will work with the next update..
    Con: Self-compiled 'could' be faster for updates (although I doubt that the usual user will beat ondrej)
    Con: Some packages are missing in the packages (although you can install almost everything via pecl)
    Con: Safer if you don't trust ondrej (OK, this is a very weak point)

Neptun, till, ustoopia and 1 other person like this.
  10. ustoopia

ustoopia Member

Wauw. Thank you good sir for explaining this so clearly for me. I see how it is now. I salute you for taking the time to explain this to me. I 'm now aware that I also prefer the ondrej packages.

Question though.. when I add the ondrej repo and install PHP7.4, will it install alongside the already present php7.2? or will it update this and take thus removes it basically.

11. ahrasis

Sure. You can add php5.6, php7.1 and php7.3 as well alongside.

No, but default php7.2 may be changed to the latest php7.4, as such, you might want to revert it manually thereafter or install monit and use it with some script like the one I shared in here to automatically restore default php7.2.

12. exynenem

exynenem Member

I can also only suggest to use pre-compiled/packaged versions of PHP on any binary distribution like Debian/Ubuntu/CentOS....
    It's definitely easier to maintain (installation/update across multiple servers) than to use a self-compiled version. Your packages are also tracked by the package manager of your distribution and so you likely won't run into problems like overwriting a self-compiled version with a pre-compiled version or vice-versa.

I'am a CentOS user and am using Remi Collet's PHP packages since a few years without any problem. Furthermore he supports often his packages with security patches even after the PHP support has reached EOL and in case that he drops the support completely then I can still use his source rpms as a base to create my very own "LTS" packages.

Guys, there is a reason why package managers/utils were invented...

ahrasis likes this.
  13. Neptun

Neptun Member

pkg via Ondřej Surý is 100% recommended - i use it since years & it works without any issue with a lot of updates & patches and you cannot forget/have any delay with anything important & no lack of security

has anybody already tested with debian 10 & nginx ?
    Any better performance or other interessting things found maybe ?

elmacus likes this.
  14. ahrasis

Ubuntu 18.04 + nginx - not much better I'd say but it is improving.

15. shadowcast

shadowcast New Member

16. ahrasis

It seems like you try to compile it yourself.

I personally don't self compile anymore, instead I use Ondrej Sury php repo.

gOOvER likes this.
  17. gOOvER

gOOvER Member

nothing better than Ondrej Repro :) I use´it since a long time

18. How to activate Ondrej Repo on Debian?

19. Steini86

Steini86 Active Member

https://packages.sury.org/php/README.txt
    Code:
    apt -y install apt-transport-https lsb-release ca-certificates curl
    wget -O /etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d/php.gpg https://packages.sury.org/php/apt.gpg
    sh -c 'echo "deb https://packages.sury.org/php/ $(lsb_release -sc) main" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/php.list'
    apt update

Jesse Norell likes this.
  20. Keen Mouse

Keen Mouse New Member

Is there a tutorial for if you install PHP 7.4 from the Ondrej repository instead of compiling? I have 7.4 installed now, but the paths are different from the compilation tutorial and I'm not sure what steps to include or omit.