PHPMyAdmin and roundcube do not work after fresh installation (debian10,apache,php_fpm)

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by ruppel, Nov 29, 2020.

1. ruppel

ruppel New Member

Hi,
    I know this problem occured several times, but after hours (better days) of reading different posts and solutions without a solution for me,... it seems I have to create a new thread in here.
    It's the problem, that while using php_fpm with multiple php versions, the installed roundcube and the phpmyadmin only show the source code, but do not get interpreted by php.
    My server is a debian 10 system with apache as web server.
    I do the installation using ansible scripts which mixes up different tutorials from howtoforge and from the book "Rootserver unter Debian/GNU Linux". The ansible scripts are in github.com under /ruppel/myserver (by now I'm not allowed to post links...)
    Attached you will find the htf_report.
    Thanks a lot for the great tutorials and for a little help (in advance),
    Ruppel

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 29, 2020
  2. ruppel

ruppel New Member

OK, another day of searching and trying,... and now it works.
    I also need to install the libapache2-mod-php<version> packages. This fixed the problem.

3. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell Well-Known Member Staff Member Howtoforge Staff

You can/should uninstall mod_php, then enable the config for ph-fpm (a2enconf php7.3-fpm, I believe).

4. ruppel

ruppel New Member

At first my scripts didn't install the libapache2-mod-php<version> packages. Result was, that php-fpm was running, but no roundcube and no phpmyadmin.
    Now my scripts install the libapache2-mod-php<version> packages and roundcube and phpmyadmin work like a charm. Also the php-fpm is working which i checked using phpinfo.
    Current development is here: github.com/ruppel/myserver

5. Jesse Norell

6. ruppel

ruppel New Member

Hmm, I thought I have done everything according to tutorial "How to install PHP 5.6 and 7.0 - 7.4 as PHP-FPM & FastCGI for ISPConfig 3.1 with apt on Debian 8 to 10" in php-multiple-version-installed/tasks/main.yml.
    There was nothing about enabling a config for apache...
    And in tutorial "The Perfect Server - Debian 10 (Buster) with Apache, BIND, Dovecot, PureFTPD and ISPConfig 3.1" I also can't find something like that.

So I only have to 'a2enconf php7.3-fpm' because this should be the default, or do this for every single php version?

7. Jesse Norell

Correct, don't enable config for every version, only the system default version.

8. ruppel

ruppel New Member

Allright, it works, thanks a lot!
    So, why isn't that documented in the tutorials I mentioned above? It would have saved a few days of research...

9. Jesse Norell

Checking the current debian 10 guide, it installs mod_php, which works as you noted. Your script uninstalled it, but didn't enable anything else as a default php interpreter, hence your problem. Nowadays you want to ditch mod_php as it requires mpm_prefork, so you can't use http/2 with it; plus it's a less secure (breaching mod_php gains access to the entire apache web server; breaching php-fpm gains access to only the php daemon).

ruppel likes this.