PHPMyadmin change permissions 1267 - Illegal mix of collations

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by Petar, May 26, 2023.

1. Petar

Petar Member HowtoForge Supporter

I've got on any created database, no matter if it is empty or with tables, i cannot change permissions .
    I've got:
    1267 - Illegal mix of collations (utf8mb4_general_ci,COERCIBLE) and (utf8mb4_unicode_ci,COERCIBLE) for operation '<>'

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

3. Petar

Where should i change this from the soluttion:
    character-set-server = utf8mb4
    collation-server = utf8mb4_unicode_ci

Probably there are a lot more solutions on the web, but everything was working fine until recently.
    I cannot confirm when this start happening, but right now we cannot change permissions on any table in phpmyadmin on any ISPConfig installation.
    This was indeed possible some time ago...

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The settings mentioned in StackOverflow go into the MySQL or MariaDB configuration file. It might also be that you are using wrong settings in phpmyadmin. This is a problem around charset conversions.

Also, you do not say what kind of permissions you try to change in phpmyadmin, as one normally does not has to change any permissions on databases created in ISPConfig using phpmyadmin.

5. Petar

I tried changing permissions of databases with my other server which is ISPC installed on debian 10 and has PhpMyAdmin version 4.9.0.1 and everything is working normally.

On this server which is Debian 11, ISPC (auto install), apache, php 7.4, PhpMyAdmin version 5.0.4deb2+deb11u1 it gives the mentioned error no meter whatever you want to do.

I wouldn't normally have to change any permissions, but today while importing a database i didn't notice that it was previously working on some php 8 server, so it had in the import a lot of "utf8mb4_unicode_520_ci" collations.
    When the website didn't start, i would have checked the permissions of the user over the database, but as i mentioned earlier, this option is now problematic. I didn't make any special settings for phpmyadmin - only the default ones from the auto install script.

i tried the settings in my.cnf but it gives error, so for now i will search and replace the import file to continue and maybe another day when i have some spare time troubleshoot the problems of phpmyadmin and collations/permissions