phpmyadmin not working

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by perthsystem, Sep 22, 2014.

1. perthsystem

perthsystem New Member

I am having a peculiar problem with phpmyadmin, it let's me login as root but not with users created in ISPConfig3, this is the error I get:

#1045 Cannot log in to the MySQL server

Can't work this out!

2. srijan

srijan New Member HowtoForge Supporter

Hi

- click privileges -> add a new user
    - specify username
    - specify host as Local
    - specify password
    - grant all privileges on wildcard name (username\_%)
    - global privileges - check all
    - go
    - reload privileges
    - logout

then log back in as your new user

3. perthsystem

perthsystem New Member

Thanks for that, but does this mean I will have to do this each time I add a new user to ispconfig?

4. srijan

srijan New Member HowtoForge Supporter

Yes, that is to be done for logging into phpmyadmin

5. perthsystem

perthsystem New Member

Oh ok...

ISPConfig3 used to be able create new users and were able to log into phpmyadmin.

What you have described gives full priviledges to users, and that's not suitable.

Thanks anyway.

6. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

What srijan described is not nescessray and you should not do that! ISPConfig is able to create mysql users, so there must be a issue why this fails. The most common problem is that the mysql root password was changed and ispconfig does not know the new root password and without a root login, ispcofig cant create mysql users.

Check the file /usr/local/ispconfig/server/lib/mysql_clientdb.conf if it contains the right mysql root password. If not, then change it there.

7. perthsystem

perthsystem New Member

Hi,

I have checked that and it already has the correct password. :(

8. perthsystem

perthsystem New Member

I have temporarily remedied the problem by loggin into phpmyadmin as 'root' and changed priviledges for user 'ispconfig'.

Now I can add users through ISPConfig and create databases, and also log into phpmyadmin using these newly created usernames.

9. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The user "ispconfig" is not used to add mysql users by ispconfig. So there must be a wrong user configured in /usr/local/ispconfig/server/lib/mysql_clientdb.conf file. Please check that file, it muts contain the root user and the password of the root user, it may not contain the user ispconfig.

Giving the ispconfig mysql user more priveliges is not recommended for security reasons as ispconfig has a privelige separation for the mysql connection that needs higher permissions in mysql.

10. perthsystem

perthsystem New Member

Yes... I have checked /usr/local/ispconfig/server/lib/mysql_clientdb.conf and it only has ONLY 'root' & its password, nothing else.

Note that this is a brand new install on a fresh Ubuntu 14.04 box... as I have done on 2 others (without problems). My problems began when I used the update script after the install - Something wrong there I guess!!