Pixmap / icon mime type association...

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by sthompson, Jan 18, 2007.

1. sthompson

sthompson New Member

Hello all,

I have asked this question many times in various support forums and never got an answer, so I'm going to ask again here in this forum.

I have an adobe acrobat icon or pixmap, if you will, and I want to have this icon show for all of my PDF files as apposed to the default PDF files. The default PDF files are displayed as showing the contents of the first page of the PDF file.

There must be a way to do this but I haven't a clue as to where to start.

On this particular machine I'm running Ubuntu 6.10 (Edgy Eft).

Thank you,

Steve

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

I'm not sure I understand what you want to do? :confused:

3. sthompson

sthompson New Member

When viewing my Documents folder in Nautilus, each file and directory has an icon associated with it. Sound files (.wav files) have their icon, OpenOffice documents have their own icon etc... PDF files, however, are a much larger icon showing the first page of the PDF document. Just as you can see text files showing the first page of the document (This can be changed in the Nautilus preferences). I want to change my system so that all PDF documents to have a default Adobe icon. I can select all PDF's and change them to the icon I want but I want to have them be automatically assigned. When I download a PDF it should automatically be assigned the icon of my choice.

Just as in MS Windows where all PDF files have an Adobe Acrobat icon.

Steve

Last edited: Jan 19, 2007
  4. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Right-click the PDF in Nautilus and go to Properties. In the upcoming window you have multiple tabs (Basic, Emblems, ...). On the Basic tab click on the icon of the PDF file (which is currently rather preview of its content than an icon). A new window comes up where you can change the icon.

5. sthompson

sthompson New Member

Hi Falko,

This is only changes 1 icon, and yes, I could do a search and change all of them at the same time. However, I want this to happen automatically, for example when I save a PDF after downloading from the net or when I copy one over from my file server.

Thanks,

Steve