please help clarify: system users and clients

Discussion in 'General' started by Ovidiu, May 8, 2009.

1. Ovidiu

Ovidiu Active Member

I thought by creating a system => user, I could give a client or rather a reseller access to ispcfg3 and yes, that seems fine so far, but after this user logs in he can't do anything. can't create clients, can't create users, can't create sites, he always gets told: limits exceeded, and indeed when I created that user, I couldn't set up any limits for him...

so what am I doing wrong?

###edit###
    in short: i want to give someone access so he can set up his own web sites, emaildomains and DNS records. all within certain limits, at least as far as this is implemented already.

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

do not create system users manually! create new clients in the client module.

3. Ovidiu

Ovidiu Active Member

ok, that helped a little.
    I was a little unclear: what I meant by system users, was creating CP users from ispcfg3.
    if I just create a client, he doesn't get access to ispcfg3, right?
    so basically a CP user is needed to have a reseller account, except that a cp user doesn't have any limits so he can't create clients.
    am I just not getting the point or is this feature not implemented yet?

4. till

You totally mix everything up. Only clients can login to ispconfig. clients have nothing to do with the linux system itself.

5. Ovidiu

Ovidiu Active Member

ok, then what is a control panel user for?

6. till

They are used internally when you create a client and you should not touch them manually if you have no deep understanding of the permission system behind the data records, thats why they are in the system settings area.

7. Ovidiu

Ovidiu Active Member

ok, thanks, that helped. I figured it out now :)