please help. RAID 5 crashed after power failure. How do I recover the data?

Discussion in 'Technical' started by SoftDux, Jan 25, 2008.

1. SoftDux

SoftDux New Member

Hi all

I hope someone can help me with this. The posts in the forum on similar topics didn't help me at all. I just move aprox. 280GB's worth of data to a new server, which has 3x250GB HDD's in. The 4th drive had a problem and was sent back to supplier, so I would have added it later.

Anyway, this morning we had a power failure (UPS also faulty :( ), and now the server doesn't start-up. It seems like /dev/md1 is fine, but /dev/md2 isn't.

Here's the output that I can currently see on the monitor:

Booting from the CD, and specifying "sme rescue" wasn't very helpful, as it tells me there's no installation found. So, I can't even try and rebuild a failed RAID: http://wiki.contribs.org/Raid#Raid_Notes

I have booted up with System rescue CD, and found some interesting info:

One thing which I don't understand though, is that it detects all 3 HDD's as sdX, even though I have 1x IDE & 2x SATA HDD's in the server.

Can someone please give me some pointers on this?

2. topdog

topdog Active Member

You seem to have a double problem, i think you are running lvm on top of raid that is usually difficult to rescue.

You need to try and fix the raid array this should help
    Code:
    mdadm --assemble --run --force --update=summaries /dev/md2
    /dev/disk1 /dev/disk2 /dev/disk3

Replace with your actual setup.

Going through "man mdadm" should help.

3. unclecameron

unclecameron New Member

Also you may have luck mounting Knoppix and attempting to mount the device and fsck it, which if it's decent at all you should see on the desktop when you power it on. HTH

4. SoftDux

SoftDux New Member

Thanx, I tried Sysrescue CD, which is also a live CD and similar to knoppix, but with more tools - unfortunately it didn't help much. I'm still looking into option though...