Please use the SMTP relay at your 550-5.7.1 service provider instead. Learn more

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by pawan, Jul 28, 2010.

1. pawan

pawan Member

My question to all linux wizards.
    I am though very new to linux, I was able to setup ISPCONFIG 3 on my ubuntu 10.04 64bit desktop.
    Every thing in the server is running fine. All services are running fine as well.
    The problem I am facing is
    I am able to send mails from outside to my mail addresses configured in ISPCONFIG, but I am not able to send the mails to outside users. I am getting the error like

Code:
    To: 	[email protected]
    Subject: 	Undelivered Mail Returned to Sender
    Date: 	Wednesday 28 July 2010 02:54:00 IST

This is the mail system at host server1.mywebhostings.biz.

I'm sorry to have to inform you that your message could not
    be delivered to one or more recipients. It's attached below.

For further assistance, please send mail to postmaster.

If you do so, please include this problem report. You can
    delete your own text from the attached returned message.

The mail system

<[email protected]>: host gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com[74.125.127.27] said:
        550-5.7.1 [59.90.144.48] The IP you're using to send mail is not authorized
        to 550-5.7.1 send email directly to our servers. Please use the SMTP relay
        at your 550-5.7.1 service provider instead. Learn more at
        550 5.7.1 http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=10336
        b21si2383474ana.176 (in reply to end of DATA command)
    I did check the link given http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=10336

In this URL link it mentions that sending IP address does not match the sending domain.
    I couldn't locate the problem except that the sender host is mentioned as server1.mywebhostings.biz and not orissaitbazar.com. could this be the problem.

Both the domains that host server1.mywebhsotings.biz and orissaitbazar are on same ip address.
    Please note that I am using static ip and not dynamic ip.
    I have looked everywhere to find the solution, but I couldnot find a solution.

2. Mark_NL

Mark_NL Member

You're probably running this server on an ip address of your home isp (on cable, dsl or smth) .. in that case you don't have a proper reversed dns ..

Code:
    mark@mark-desktop:~$ host 59.90.144.48
    48.144.90.59.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer Static.Sambalpur.mp.59.90.144.48/24.bsnl.in.

Code:
    mark@mark-desktop:~$ host server1.mywebhostings.biz
    server1.mywebhostings.biz is an alias for mywebhostings.biz.
    mywebhostings.biz has address 59.90.144.48
    mywebhostings.biz mail is handled by 0 mywebhostings.biz.

server1.mywebhostings.biz returns 59.90.144.48
    but 59.90.144.48 returns Static.Sambalpur.mp.59.90.144.48/24.bsnl.in.

since these two don't match, you get the error above.

so you need to do what they suggest in the return mail, use your ISP's mailserver as relay on your server, or use your ISP's mailserver to send out mails, and only receive on your own server.

3. pawan

pawan Member

Solved

Dear Mark_NL
    Many many many thanks for having pointed out the real cause of mail rejection.

Initially I didn't agree mentally, what you mentioned, as I was able to sent outward mail even gmail using froxlor, but not all. Whereas from ispconfig no mail at all. why couldn't get an answer.

I googled about the importance of reverse DNS and PTR record.

I got it changed from my isp which will resolve to my server name and still my mail was getting rejected by hotmail for example stating spamhouse.

I placed a request for suppression of my ip from PBL list.

Now I am able to send mail to any mail provider like gmail, yahoo, rediffmail etc.

Thank you so much once again.

muzi1 likes this.
  4. Mark_NL

Mark_NL Member

hehe i'm glad you figured it out :)

5. muzi1

muzi1 New Member

Hi Mark

Could you elaborate on how you solved this issues as i am currently stuck on it

6. TiTex

TiTex Member

Mark's solution could be specific for his problem , you might have other issues
    If you want to check if the PTR (pointer record) in dns is the same as your hostname on the server
    dig -x y.y.y.y , where y.y.y.y is your public IP
    if your PTR is not set up correctly , you will have to ask your ISP to set it up for you.

another issue why this might happen is your SPF TXT record in DNS

7. teslabaco

teslabaco New Member

I am have the same issue. I am using exchnage 2010 . How do you use your ISP's mailserver as relay on your server, or use your ISP's mailserver to send out mails???