POP3 no longer works after system upgrade

Discussion in 'General' started by MrCompTech, Feb 2, 2011.

1. MrCompTech

MrCompTech New Member

After upgrading server from Fedora Core 13 to 14 I can no longer log in to the mail server using webmail (imap) or Thunderbird (POP3).

When I try with Thunderbird/POP3 is receive the error message:

Sending of username did not succeed. Mail server 192.168.1.10 responded: Plaintext authentication disallowed on non-secure (SSL/TLS) connections

I changed the dovecot.conf file and added :
    disable_plaintext_auth = no

Restart dovecot and try using Thunderbird/POP3 again and receive the error message:

Sending of password dod not succedd. Mail server 192.168.1.10 responded: Authentication failed.

Get an option to enter the password again but still get the same error.
    Went into the ISPConfig control panel and put the password in again but still get 'Authentication failed'.

The system upgrade apparently included upgrading dovecot!

I replaced the new dovecot.conf with my old one and get these errors and the service fails to start:

Code:
    Starting Dovecot Imap: doveconf: Warning: NOTE: You can get a new clean config file with: doveconf -n > dovecot-new.conf
    doveconf: Warning: Obsolete setting in /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf:20: protocols=imaps is no longer necessary, remove it
    doveconf: Warning: Obsolete setting in /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf:20: protocols=pop3s is no longer necessary, remove it
    doveconf: Warning: Obsolete setting in /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf:560: mail_executable has been replaced by service { executable }
    doveconf: Warning: Obsolete setting in /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf:631: mail_executable has been replaced by service { executable }
    doveconf: Warning: Obsolete setting in /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf:715: protocol managesieve {} has been replaced by protocol sieve { }
    doveconf: Warning: Obsolete setting in /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf:890: add auth_ prefix to all settings inside auth {} and remove the auth {} section completely
    doveconf: Warning: Obsolete setting in /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf:928: passdb pam {} has been replaced by passdb { driver=pam }
    doveconf: Warning: Obsolete setting in /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf:1007: passdb sql {} has been replaced by passdb { driver=sql }
    doveconf: Warning: Obsolete setting in /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf:1044: userdb passwd {} has been replaced by userdb { driver=passwd }
    doveconf: Warning: Obsolete setting in /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf:1089: userdb sql {} has been replaced by userdb { driver=sql }
    doveconf: Warning: Obsolete setting in /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf:1110: auth_user has been replaced by service auth { user }
    doveconf: Fatal: Error in configuration file /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf: ssl enabled, but ssl_cert not set
    So the dovecot.conf files are no longer compatible, so I but the new back in place of the old which was how is was after the upgrade.

I ran doveconf -n > dovecot-new.conf and copied this to dovecot.conf but that has not fixed the problem.

Any suggestions?

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

What's your new Dovecot version? ISPConfig does not support Dovecot 2, only Dovecot 1.x.

3. MrCompTech

MrCompTech New Member

Owch! That hurts!

It's Dovecot 2.0.8

Am I alone in trying to get this to work with ISPConfig 3.0.3.2 on FC14?

Any info on how ISPConfing integrates with Dovecot?

4. MrCompTech

MrCompTech New Member

Is there a way to roll back dovecot to the earlier version without losing my email domains and mailboxes?

Or have they already been deleted by the dovecot upgrade.

Where does ISPConfig store the email information, domains, aliases, forwards, mailboxes, etc.?

... checked on some things

I see in the database table dbispconfig that the mail domains, forwarders and mail users are still there.
    I do see a pass word column as well.

... tried using yum to downgrade dovecot but received an error

Code:
    Loaded plugins: presto, refresh-packagekit
    Setting up Downgrade Process
    updates/metalink                                         |  10 kB     00:00
    updates                                                  | 4.7 kB     00:00
    updates/primary_db                                       | 4.1 MB     03:21
    Resolving Dependencies
    --> Running transaction check
    ---> Package dovecot.x86_64 1:2.0.1-1.fc14 set to be downgraded
    ---> Package dovecot.x86_64 1:2.0.8-2.fc14 set to be erased
    --> Finished Dependency Resolution
    Error: Package: 1:dovecot-mysql-2.0.8-2.fc14.x86_64 (@updates)
               Requires: dovecot = 1:2.0.8-2.fc14
               Removing: 1:dovecot-2.0.8-2.fc14.x86_64 (@updates)
                   dovecot = 1:2.0.8-2.fc14
               Downgraded By: 1:dovecot-2.0.1-1.fc14.x86_64 (fedora)
                   dovecot = 1:2.0.1-1.fc14
               Available: 1:dovecot-2.0.9-1.fc14.i686 (updates)
                   dovecot = 1:2.0.9-1.fc14
     You could try using --skip-broken to work around the problem
     You could try running: rpm -Va --nofiles --nodigest

Next option is to uninstall dovecto and see if I can install the previous one.

Uninstall went OK, but when I used 'yum list obsoletes dovecot' the previous version was not listed. I am guessing the the upgrade to FC14 changed the repositories and I need to find the repo that has the previous version of dovecto.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2011
  5. MrCompTech

MrCompTech New Member

Well it took a while but I did find an RPM to install the previous version of dovecot. But, that didn't work either, becuase the OS upgrade which included the dovecot upgrade also updated file needed by dovecot!

Code:
    [root@prl-ofc-s01 ~]# yum install dovecot-1.2.16-1.el5.x86_64.rpm
    Loaded plugins: presto, refresh-packagekit
    Setting up Install Process
    Examining dovecot-1.2.16-1.el5.x86_64.rpm: 1:dovecot-1.2.16-1.el5.x86_64
    Marking dovecot-1.2.16-1.el5.x86_64.rpm to be installed
    Resolving Dependencies
    --> Running transaction check
    ---> Package dovecot.x86_64 1:1.2.16-1.el5 set to be installed
    --> Processing Dependency: libmysqlclient.so.15(libmysqlclient_15)(64bit) for package: 1:dovecot-1.2.16-1.el5.x86_64
    --> Processing Dependency: libcrypto.so.6()(64bit) for package: 1:dovecot-1.2.16-1.el5.x86_64
    --> Processing Dependency: libdb-4.3.so()(64bit) for package: 1:dovecot-1.2.16-1.el5.x86_64
    --> Processing Dependency: libldap-2.3.so.0()(64bit) for package: 1:dovecot-1.2.16-1.el5.x86_64
    --> Processing Dependency: libmysqlclient.so.15()(64bit) for package: 1:dovecot-1.2.16-1.el5.x86_64
    --> Processing Dependency: libpq.so.4()(64bit) for package: 1:dovecot-1.2.16-1.el5.x86_64
    --> Processing Dependency: libssl.so.6()(64bit) for package: 1:dovecot-1.2.16-1.el5.x86_64
    --> Finished Dependency Resolution
    Error: Package: 1:dovecot-1.2.16-1.el5.x86_64 (/dovecot-1.2.16-1.el5.x86_64)
               Requires: libmysqlclient.so.15(libmysqlclient_15)(64bit)
               Requires: libdb-4.3.so()(64bit)
               Requires: libldap-2.3.so.0()(64bit)
               Requires: libssl.so.6()(64bit)
               Requires: libpq.so.4()(64bit)
               Requires: libcrypto.so.6()(64bit)
               Requires: libmysqlclient.so.15()(64bit)
     You could try using --skip-broken to work around the problem
     You could try running: rpm -Va --nofiles --nodigest

Oh this is painful!

6. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

7. MrCompTech

MrCompTech New Member

I downloaded both the main package dovecot-1.2.16-1_114.fc13.x86_64.rpm and the libraries and headers into the same directory.

I tried to install them with
    Code:
    yum install *
    and get
    There is no signature file listed on the atrpms.net website.

I did find the key dovecot-1.2.16.tar.gz.sig at dovecot.org but I am not sure how to use this file and not sure if it is the key that I need to complete this install.

So how do I use this key, assuming it is the correct one?

8. MrCompTech

MrCompTech New Member

Since i new where the packages came from, and assuming the site hasn't been hacked, to get the packages to install I disabled the GPG.

Edited /etc/yum.conf
    And changed pgpcheck=1 to 0
    After the install, which went off without any errors I set this back to 1.

Now I just need to run on of the ISPConfig files to reconfigure dovecot.
    I saw the file in one of the posts on this forum, now I just have to find it again.

9. MrCompTech

MrCompTech New Member

Got a bit tired of tryign to fix this so I did a complete system restore and I'm back to the point were I had upgraded to ISPConfig 3.0.3.2 but before I upgraded from FC13 to FC14.

So email is working again.

I'll probably wait a few weeks or a month before I try again another upgrade.