Possible BUG or as intended about HDD quota

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by Petar, Jan 13, 2022.

1. Petar

Petar Member HowtoForge Supporter

Dear friends,
    I noticed some strange reports on the dashboard about Website HDD quota, so i would like to know if it is a bug, or it works as intended, and we have to be extra careful about this.

Lets say i have a client1 with web1 on this server which has 1GB limit and only 300mb usage so far.
    Regular on the dashboard it is shown with the striped bar as 1/3 usage.

In meanwhile on client10/web10 i was rsync-ing an old website from another ISPC server, to transfer its website to this.
    On the old server this website was client1/web1. I forgot to include -og option in the rsync and when it transferred its 15GB data, it was all owned by web1:client1. i left it as it is, for the time when i will continue with DB migration, sorting old.new data etc.

Now on the ISPC dashboard the new client10/web10 HDD quota is still 80KB (as empty) but the current real client1/web1 HDD quota is shown red stripe with 15.3GB and 15,000% over-usage.

Is the dashboard measuring whole data found on the whole server from web:client group and then basing the calculation of HDD quota on this?
    In my mind, it should include at least one more filter (from the exact folder of that client/web folder) and then calculate the quota, no mater if it is group web1:client1 or web10:client10. If its in that folder it should weight only on that clients/web quota.

Is it a probable bug, or should we be extra cautious about the group/user own of data?

Thanks in advance for your time and explanation

Best regards

2. Croydon

Croydon ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

Hello.
    ISPConfig ist using unix file system quota. So the quota is managed by the kernel. This means there is no filtering possibility and all owners files count against the quota. It is not a bug, though.

3. Petar

OK, so works as intended and we should be extra careful.
    So if user of the folder client10/web10 deliberately changes a large potion of his lets say archive files 30GB to web1:client1 groupowner, he will not be charged for the extra space and he will probably block the user client1 with web1 ???
    OK, good to know this trick...

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

'Normal' users can't do that on Linux. The only user that is capable of changing the ownership of files to a user that he is not himself is the root user.

Croydon likes this.
  5. Petar

Aaaah, Thanks for clearing this out Till, i started to be extra cautious and to check all the folders from my customers to check if they are somehow stealing somebody else hdd capacity.
    So we, as admins are only capable of such a mistake with the root users.
    Now it has some logic
    Thank you for your time
    Best regards