Possible bugs / issues with multi-server setups

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by dfumagalli, Mar 19, 2023.

1. dfumagalli

dfumagalli Member

Hello,
    here are some quirks and bugs I've found when adding a new webserver to an existing multi-server setup.

Context
    The new webserver is just that. No DB to share with others, no ISPConfig web panel, nothing.
    The old servers, including the master ISPConfig server, had PHP 7.4 and 8.1 installed. 7.4 was used for ISPConfig and other scripts, 8.1 only for the hosted websites.
    The new server has PHP 7.4 and 8.2 installed.
    The installation happened in the 2 last days with the latest ISPConfig.

Issues
    1. For some reason the installer decided that the new server had PHP 8.1 installed, like the others. Therefore it installed a broken
      Code:
      /etc/apache2/sites-available/apps.vhost
      . Actually, the real broken script is
      Code:
      /var/www/php-fcgi-scripts/apps/.php-fcgi-starter
      . It shows:
      Code:
      #!/bin/sh
      PHPRC=/etc/php/8.1/cgi/

and not 8.2. Fixing the file is not immediately easy, as I found out it's protected by extended attributes even from root.
      Nota Bene: I followed the instructions about setting PHP 7.4 as default interpreter before starting the slave server ISPConfig setup.
      PHP -i still shows 7.4.
      Slave ISPConfig installed perfectly well and works from the master server's panel. It's just the .php-fcgi-starter that got generated wrong.

2. I have a domain spanning across two servers. Even if the instructions (found on this forum) tell that I should disable the LetsEncrypt check for NATted servers, I had to do it for this situation too.
    3. I had (and have) no idea whether I should have picked "yes" when the install procedure asked me if I wanted to install the ISPConfig website. The PDF manual only explains what to choose for master server, DB server, mail server(s), DNS servers. It does not tell for slave web servers, which are not covered at all for what I see.
    4. Instructions in the PDF file are obsolete for some portions. Jailkit now can be installed without compiling it. Quota setup instructions are broken for Ubuntu (both on PDF and Ubuntu Perfect Server Setup instructions on the website) and I had to follow DigitaOcean's (or others) alternate instructions on how to install another kernel and so on.

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

This is to be expected as we do not support PHP 8.2 as the default version of the OS yet.

This option needs to be disabled on setups where you can not reach the domain itself from the server. This happens normally on NAT systems only, but can happen on other systems as well that forbid the server to connect to a domain that is hosted on the system itself, or that redirect traffic for this domain to a different system when you try to connect from the server.

See current multiserver install guide, it should work for Ubuntu 22.04 and Debian 10 as well:

https://www.howtoforge.com/tutorial/ispconfig-multiserver-setup-debian-ubuntu/

See current multiserver install guide, it should work for Ubuntu 22.04 and Debian 10 as well:

https://www.howtoforge.com/tutorial/ispconfig-multiserver-setup-debian-ubuntu/

3. dfumagalli

dfumagalli Member

Ok, thank you.
    If you'll update the PDF we'll buy it again by the way. The web tutorial is quite different.

hadizeid likes this.