Possible ISPConfig Configuration Apache mistake with latest stable on Ubuntu 12.04LTS

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by keithH, Apr 27, 2013.

1. keithH

keithH New Member

Hi, folks:
    I'm actually not reporting anything super serious, but hear it goes anyways.
    When I got done using the tutorial found here: http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect-server-ubuntu-12.04-lts-apache2-bind-dovecot-ispconfig-3 I found one interesting thing after finally completeing the installation.
    I discovered that Apache2 was giving me warnings (and a hole lot of them) about nameVirtualHost *:80 and NameVirtualHost *:443 having no virtual hosts, (about three of four times printing to the screen.)
    So I thought: This cannot do.
    So I started looking about.
    First instance?
    /etc/apache2/ports.conf
    Found a NameVirtualHost *:80 line.
    Erased it, and saved the file.
    The second?
    Interestingly enough, occurred in the 000-ispconfig.conf file just after the alias lines.
    NameVirtualHost *:80 and NameVirtualHost *443 respectively.
    I removed those lines, using a nifty trick:
    Code:
     sed -I '/NameVirtualHost /,/*:80/d' /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/000-ispconfig.conf 
    Then I ran the same, but for 443.
    Once I erased those lines, and restarted Apache, all warnings whent away entirely.
    I do not curiously, remember this ever occurring in ISPConfig 3.0.4.6, just in the latest stable builds.
    Does anybody know why those directives are in the default ispconfig.conf vhost file for Apache2?
    Doing this has not busted ISPConfig3 in any way, btw.
    I would, like an explanation as to why those lines exist at all, if possible.
    I don't like receiving warnigns all over the screen from Apache, personally. So I've delbt with it, at least for now.
    When the next stable release comes up, after updating ISPConfig (unless I'm instructed not to in a reply post), I'll probably repeat the said code again just in case those lines hsow back up.
    An explanation for those lines would be appreciated.
    Did you developers do that on accident spessifying a Vhost line or two Apache would warn about?
    I would suspect so.
    Please clarify.
    Thanks!

Last edited: Apr 27, 2013
  2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Has been discussed several times in the forum, but I will repeat it:

Without these lines you will not be able to use wildcard virtual hosts which are available in ispconfig as default. Basically apache should not print warnings about that as its not an issue, the message should basically be "You are now able to add wildcard virtual hosts in apache on port abc" and this deserves a notice and not warning level.

We are considering to remove these lines in the next update even if this will cause users to fail again like before when they create a wildcard vhost when they did not add these settings in their config manually as not all distributions and hosting providers add them in their default settings.