Possible switch from Plesk to ISPConfig

Discussion in 'General' started by kameleon25, Apr 3, 2008.

1. kameleon25

kameleon25 New Member

Hello all,

I have been using ISPConfig on my home server for a while now. I must say I like it. I currently have only 2 domains with a few sub-domains each and a handful of email addresses. It seems that ISPConfig is stout enough for some major hosting work.

I work for an ISP and we currently use Plesk for our hosting. We are pretty much stuck with the version we have as the upgrade process is not that well thought out according to our admin and would possibly break more than it fixed. So he and I were talking yesterday and he wants me to put together a case for switching to ISPConfig. I need to know if it can handle what we do currently with room to add later. Currently we have about 225 active domains with an average of 20 email addresses each. The machine that is our web hosting is a 3ghz Xeon w/ 2GB ram. Currently the average load on the server is about 0.9 about any given time if that matters. We also utilize Brightmail anti-spam so the built in anti spam in ISPConfig would not really be needed.

Also I have not delved off into this part yet on my personal server but we do have some customers that need php4 and some that need php5. How easily is it to switch them between these? I figure we might need a separate machine for the php4 but maybe not.

Looking at these current needs and thinking of future growth, how do you think ISPConfig would do in our environment? I look forward to your replies.

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

This tutorial might be of interest: http://www.howtoforge.com/apache2_with_php5_and_php4
    ISPConfig configures PHP through mod_php, so for the php-cgi stuff (if a web site needs the CGI version) you'd have to use the Apache Directives field in ISPConfig.

Regarding the server load, that depends heavily on your applications, the email traffic, and so on. Especially ClamAV and SpamAssassin use lots of resources, but as you said, you don't need them. Nevertheless I'd consider adding more RAM to the system because 225 web sites and about 5000 users might eat up your RAM.

3. kameleon25

kameleon25 New Member

And one last thing. Unless I am not searching correctly I cannot find out how to have multiple ISPConfig servers but one main one for all the customers to log into. Or did I read that wrong and it isn't an option.

4. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Right now you can manage only one server with ISPConfig. In future versions (v3) it will be possible to manage multiple servers.