Possibly Dumb Question about a Hostname

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by dwtj01, Apr 3, 2009.

1. dwtj01

dwtj01 New Member HowtoForge Supporter

Forgive me if this is a stupid question, and I promise I searched the formus before asking, but if my ISPConfig server has a private IP behind my firewall which is assigned the public IP, and I'm port forwarding the proper ports from the firewall to the ISPConfig box, does it matter what the hostname is on the ISPConfig box, especially where Postfix is concerned???

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Yes, you will have to use a correct hostname as the hostname is used in all communication of the mailserver to the outside world. this histname must resolve in dns to your external IP.

3. dwtj01

Hey Till,

I get that, but if my MX record points to mail.somedomain.com which points to my external IP on the firewall which port forwards everything to my actual server, and if my DNS is hosted by my registrar, does my actual server hostname and Postfix hostname need to be mail.somedomain.com, or can it be mail.somedomain.local, etc.... Also, since I'm hosting multiple domains, should my actual server hostname be something totally separate from those. Thanks for your help.

4. dwtj01

Nevermind Till,

I was only grasping at hope that my problem was the hostname. After 3 reps told me port 25 incoming wasn't blocked, I finally got a 4th AT&T rep who knew what he was talking about tonight who comfirmed they block port 25 both incoming and outgoing unless you upgrade to a business account. Looks like I'm destined to only be able to send mail out via relay and use a forwarding service for incoming mail. Sigh.....