Postfix and Outlook. Missing Emails Mystery

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by asyadiqin, Nov 9, 2007.

1. asyadiqin

asyadiqin New Member

Hi all. I am not sure if anyone have this issue when using Outlook to check emails on a mailserver running Postfix. I am having weird complaints from my email users about missing emails sent to them.

Apparently, some of my email users have been complaining that they have people calling up to ask why no one is responding to their emails. Based on the email address of the sender and time/date given, I managed to locate the inbound email logs and when I checked our mail user's inbox folders, ie. cur/, the email is there.

However, when I check from their Outlook, no such emails exist in any of the Outlook folders. Yes, I checked everywhere, even the SPAM folders and the email is missing.

Does anyone have any insight as to why this is happening?

2. lwh.dk

lwh.dk New Member

how do the users connect ?

Hi

could you post some basic info's about your mail setup ?
    F.x.
    How does your users connect to you mail server Imap / pop3
    How is you Postfix configured ?
    Is it possible to view the mails using webmail ?

3. asyadiqin

asyadiqin New Member

What sort of informations do you require? I am running Postfix 2.2.8 on a Fedora Core 5. I followed the guide "Virtual Users With Postfix, PostfixAdmin, Courier, Mailscanner, ClamAV On CentOS" on this site. Other than that, there is no additional setup installed.

As for the mail users, they connect using POP3. I have not installed any webmail on the mailserver as there was no use for it as its just a small office setup.

4. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Any errors in your mail log?

5. asyadiqin

asyadiqin New Member

No error in the logs whatsoever. Everything goes through fine. Thats the weird part. :confused:

6. lwh.dk

lwh.dk New Member

Strange, yes

you are able to se the mail's in den /cur folder and not in outlook, then is outlook, if you are having a ordinary POP3 config, not able to retrive/download the mail, other wise the mail would not be in the /cur.

Could you try to connect to the mailbox using imap ?
    Just to se if outlook is able to view the mail on your server.

7. asyadiqin

asyadiqin New Member

I haven't really tried using Outlook connecting to the mailserver using IMAP but I will look into it. Not really experienced in configuring Outlook but will give it a try. Thanks to everyone who posted in this thread.