Postfix config in Perfect Server Fedora 10 does not work

Discussion in 'Suggest HOWTO' started by Mistoffeles, Feb 14, 2009.

1. Mistoffeles

Mistoffeles New Member

The Perfect Server Fedora 10 HOWTO reads so:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    We must edit /usr/lib/sasl2/smtpd.conf so that Postfix allows PLAIN and LOGIN logins (on 64bit systems, this file is in /usr/lib64/sasl2/smtpd.conf). It should look like this:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Neither config file is present, the only smtpd.conf is in /usr/share/logwatch/default.conf/services/qmail-smtpd.conf, which is obviously not the correct file.

What is missing from the F10 installation or the HOWTO to generate the correct configuration file?

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

There's nothing missing - the tutorial is working exactly as posted. Did you install all the packages that are mentioned in the tutorial?

3. Mistoffeles

Mistoffeles New Member

Everything.

Tried it twice from scratch now on a 64-bit Fedora 10 install, and the file is simply not there.

4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

What's the output of
    Code:
    updatedb
    locate smtpd.conf
    ?

5. Mistoffeles

Mistoffeles New Member

After 5 installs of 5 different RedHat based distros (Fedora 10 32-bit, Fedora 10 64-bit, CentOS 5 64-bit, RHEL 5.3 32-bit and RHEL 5.3 64-bit), I realised that this file does not exist until you create it, or an smtpd creates it. If you have never had an MTA running on your system (which isn't at all unlikely on a brand new install), there will not be any smtpd.conf (other than a possible qmail-smtpd.conf example, useless since qmail hasn't been maintained in a dog's age) until you make it. This should probably be noted in the RedHat based 'perfect server' HOWTOs.

P.S.: I used those commands several times, and the only smtpd.conf that ever showed up until I created the file was this one:

/usr/share/logwatch/default.conf/services/qmail-smtpd.conf

Last edited: Feb 26, 2009