postfix config

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by jmroth, Sep 18, 2005.

1. jmroth

jmroth ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

Hi,

the postfix documentation states the following:
    "NEVER list a virtual alias domain name as a mydestination domain!"
    Shouldn't it use virtual_alias_domains and virtual_alias_maps and just leave local-host-names alone?

Now why does ISPConfig do it that way? Is it for legacy purposes, i.e. to continue supporting Postfix 1.x?

Regards,
    ~jm

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Postfix supports the old Sendmail configuration style, which ISPConfig uses by default. But you can change that in /home/admispconfig/ispconfig/lib/config.inc.php.

3. jmroth

Thanks for the tip.
    However I do not see how mode 2 would help me either.
    I tried it and the only thing it seems to do is write VIRTUALDOMAIN into virtualusertable, which makes no real sense to me... And it removed the domains from local-host-names, which is ok, but I would have expected a virtualdomainmap with the domains and a virtualusermap with the users...
    So I don't see where mode 2 is going, maybe you can explain.
    Anyway... I will switch back to mode 1 now :)

4. falko

If you compile Postfix manually, you will find the file /etc/postfix/virtual which has the following information:

5. jmroth

Well, I tried it and it didn't seem to work.
    What they tell us in
    http://www.postfix.org/VIRTUAL_README.html
    at "Postfix virtual ALIAS example: separate domains, UNIX system accounts"
    seems to work out of the box...
    Regards,
    ~jm

6. falko

I've never had any problems with the configuration the way ISPConfig handles it... :confused:

7. jmroth

Yeah it's ok as far I'm concerned but it is not very elegant for newer version of Postfix. Maybe at some time they will discontinue the support for this, which is needed to stay compatible to 1.x.
    Anyway, the sendmail style in ISPConfig is what I am using, and it works alright. I didn't get the postfix style to work but maybe I did something else wrong. Never mind...