postfix configuration

Discussion in 'General' started by framacomputer, Apr 13, 2011.

1. framacomputer

framacomputer New Member

Hi, i installed ispconfig 3 in a debian lenny server, everythings is working good but i have troubles whit postfix:

i configured 2 mail domains in ispconfig and 1 mailbox each, this for to do some tests, in my resolv.conf file i have only nameserver 127.0.0.1

when i try to send a message thru postfix to a domain who is configured in ispconfig, postfix everytime try to search the mx in the public network (internet) this is the mailo.log for the last test:

Apr 13 14:00:57 debian postfix/smtp[7712]: 8CB68A5C49: to=<[email protected]>, relay, relay=none, delay=3.1, delays=0.06/0/3/0, dsn=4.4.3, status=deferred Host or domain name not found. Name service error for name=prova.it type=MX: H=MX: Host not found, try again)

for sure prova.it does not exist as a registered domain, but i configured it in ispconfig 3. Seems postfix is looking only for external servers, not internal.....

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Add prova.it to the /etc/hosts file and make sure that you added prova.it as email domain in ispconfig and that prova.it is not used as mydomain or myhostname in the postfix main.cf file.

3. framacomputer

framacomputer New Member

yes, i created it in ispconfig, also and i would like to know how the system work in ispconfig, i seen the ispconfig writes the information in a mysql database but i'm not sure if postfix and bind dns works togheter in the same database, how can i check it?

i tryed to create a dns zone for the domain prova.it too from ispconfig.

4. till

postfix reads it configuration from mysql while BIND uses files and ispconfig writes these files. You can test bind like this:

dig @localhost prova.it

5. framacomputer

framacomputer New Member

i'm not sure about ispconfig writes bind configuration files, i have in my mysql db ispconfigdb this tables:

dns_rr
    dns_slave
    dns_soa
    dns_template

and when i create a zone in ispconfig i found it inside tables....... and i think bind is working with his own file and ispconfig writes in the database..... how can i check it?

thanks

6. till

There are dns tables in mysql too of course, as ispconfig uses the databse to store the data before it gets written to disk.

Look into the bind files, you will see that the zone data is in there.

But this is not related to your original problem, as the mail system will work for this domain even if it does not exist in dns if you added it to the files and in ispconfig as mail domain as I explained you in #2.