Postfix, email clients and telnet

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by andybill, Aug 15, 2008.

1. andybill

andybill New Member

Have followed the virtual email server setup using MySQL and Courier, on Ubuntu 6.06 LTS and am having a strange problem.
    I can send out email no problem, and I can telnet to port 25 and compose an email to myself from any external account e.g.
    mail from:<[email protected]>
    rcpt to:<[email protected]>
    data
    test

and it queues and I receive it. No other mails are arriving - whether I send from Thunderbird, Gmail or Outlook, it doesn't arrive. I can telnet to the box by address or by name, works either way. smtpd_recipient_restrictions is identical to howto.

Any ideas?
    andy

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Are there any errors in /var/log/mail.log?

3. andybill

andybill New Member

solved

Falko,
    thanks for response. No there are no errors in the mail.log or the auth.log - it turned out that the upstream DNS provider was not publishing the MX record properly, so clients weren't able to attempt to connect (which would explain why nothing logged!)

Andy

4. andybill

andybill New Member

In case others having similar issues ..

I've been having some issues with troubleshooting authentication and so on, and found these few bits that helped (search page for debug)

http://www.howtoforge.com/virtual_users_postfix_courier_mailscanner_clamav_centos_p6

The final thing I've been having an issue with is /etc/init.d/saslauthd - on my Ubuntu the PWDIR is not being read from /etc/default/saslauthd but is coded into the init.d script, so I had to change that.