Postfix, Fetchmail, OpenSSL: wrong version number

Discussion in 'General' started by Taxi, Oct 9, 2022.

1. Taxi

Taxi Member

Hallo,

I'm running Debian Bullseye and ISPConfig 3.2.8p2.
    On my old server I had the same configuration.
    Since two days I'm running this on a new server.
    Most of the services are running fine, exept I can't fetch emails from my client via fetchmail and postfix.

I copied the server certificates from /root/.acme.sh to my local client to the location mentioned in the postfix/main.cf.
    Unfortunately I'm getting the following error:
    OpenSSL reported: error:0A00010B:SSL routines::wrong version number
    mail.server.com: upgrade to TLS failed.
    fetchmail[363826]: Socket or TLS error on [email protected]@mail.server.com
    Oct 9 17:57:25 fetchmail[363826]: socket error while fetching from [email protected]@mail.server.com
    Oct 9 17:57:25 fetchmail[363826]: Query status=2 (SOCKET)

Can the reason be that on my client I'm using Debian testing with openssl version:
    OpenSSL 3.0.5 5 Jul 2022 (Library: OpenSSL 3.0.5 5 Jul 2022)

and on the server:
    OpenSSL 1.1.1n 15 Mar 2022

How can I disable this restriction?
    I tried to disable the following lines in /etc/postfix/main.cf:
    smtpd_tls_mandatory_protocols = !SSLv2, !SSLv3
    smtpd_tls_protocols = !SSLv2,!SSLv3
    smtp_tls_protocols = !SSLv2,!SSLv3

I found that the server is not sending any certificate to the client.
    Although TLS is enabled.
    I have to check the configuration again.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2022
  2. pyte

pyte Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Hi!
    This indicates that the port you are trying to use dosen't serve TLS. Is your configuration correct?

Well if the error above occures, there is no TLS initiated so there will be no certificates. As i already mentioned there seems to be an error with your configuration, as i don't seem to serve TLS on the Port fetchmail is using.

3. Taxi

Taxi Member

Many thanks for your reply.

On the server I'm running ISPConfig with Dovecot. This means that fetchmail connects to dovecot, correct?
    In the dovoecot.conf I have:
    [...]
    ssl_cert = </etc/postfix/smtpd.cert
    ssl_key = </etc/postfix/smtpd.key
    [...]
    regarding to the perfect server installation guide.

an
    openssl x509 -in /etc/postfix/smtpd.cert -noout -text
    shows the certificate:
    Certificate:
    Data:
    Version: 3 (0x2)
    Serial Number:
    03:b2:4f:d5:ec:38:0b:ed:63:ab:ca:8b:6a:de:89:b4:b3:ee
    Signature Algorithm: sha256WithRSAEncryption
    Issuer: C = US, O = Let's Encrypt, CN = R3
    Validity
    Not Before: Oct 7 13:43:16 2022 GMT
    Not After : Jan 5 13:43:15 2023 GMT
    Subject: CN = mail.rothmedia.net
    Subject Public Key Info:
    Public Key Algorithm: rsaEncryption
    RSA Public-Key: (4096 bit)
    Modulus:
    00:b5:bd:91:7e:ba:22:49:db:11:76:65:60:ab:50:
    9b:89:81:4a:84:90:7e:9a:3f:62:a2:be:c2:82:b6:
    d3:5a:37:0b:b7:8f:4b:5d:39:f6:31:17:6b:a4:3d:
    45:8b:a4:3c:1b:59:17:49:d2:54:c4:25:2f:24:cb:
    3b:d2:f2:ae:fc:ca:56:af:46:27:d5:cc:79:2f:dc:
    28:b3:0d:6e:61:bb:71:11:31:7c:ba:b1:c8:7c:e9:
    4f:d0:11:24:2d:df:2f:02:f0:91:cd:b0:1f:0b:60:
    53:ac:6e:0d:f4:cf:f2:4f:d9:41:ab:1b:bb:63:5d:
    e8:13:5f:6b:b9:81:ca:83:f7:de:40:d8:af:3e:b0:
    [...]
    What's the problem?

Also when I'm configuring an MTA with IMAP, and want to check supported encrypted methods, I'm getting:
    Failed to query server for a list of supported authentication mechanisms.
    Peer failed to perform TLS handshake: The TLS connection was non-properly terminated.

This means, that TLS is not enabled at all!
    Where do I enable it?

4. pyte

We need way more information. I am confused.

You have a server with ISPConfig and you are using it as mail server, correct?

Where do you use fetchmail and what is the config you are trying to achieve?

How did you install the ISPConfig Server, some details about installation method and OS.

Did you change any configuration regarding the issue, like dovecot or postfix config?

5. Taxi

Taxi Member

Yes, I have the newest ISPConfig on a Debian Bullseye OS, as mantioned above. I'm managing with it websites and email addresses.
    I did the installation according to the Perfect Server Installation.
    I'm using acme.sh for the Let's Encrypt certificates.
    I'm using fetchmail from my home PC to fetch my emails from the ISPConfig managed server.

Meanwhile I got a step further. TLS is working now. But fetchmail is still complains:
    Oct 10 17:35:06 majestix fetchmail[424636]: OpenSSL reported: error:0A000086:SSL routines::certificate verify failed
    Oct 10 17:35:06 majestix fetchmail[424636]: mail.rothmedia.net: upgrade to TLS failed.
    Oct 10 17:35:06 majestix fetchmail[424636]: Socket or TLS error on [email protected]@mail.rothmedia.net
    Oct 10 17:35:06 majestix fetchmail[424636]: socket error while fetching from [email protected]@mail.rothmedia.net
    Oct 10 17:35:06 majestix fetchmail[424636]: Query status=2 (SOCKET)
    Oct 10 17:35:06 majestix fetchmail[424636]: Server certificate verification error: unable to get local issuer certificate
    Oct 10 17:35:06 majestix fetchmail[424636]: Broken certification chain at: /C=US/O=Let's Encrypt/CN=R3
    Oct 10 17:35:06 majestix fetchmail[424636]: This could mean that the server did not provide the intermediate CA's certificate(s), which is nothing fetchmail could do anything about. For details, please see the README.SSL-SERVER document that ships with fetchmail.
    Oct 10 17:35:06 majestix fetchmail[424636]: This could mean that the root CA's signing certificate is not in the trusted CA certificate location, or that c_rehash needs to be run on the certificate directory. For details, please see the documentation of --sslcertpath and --sslcertfile in the manual page. See README.SSL for details.

6. pyte

So, you are using fetchmail on a Linux Desktop and the get these errors?
    Can you add a mail account from your ISPConfig Server in something like Thunderbird? Is it working?

If thats the case, please post your fetchmailrc too. Make sure to remove sensetive data before posting!

7. Taxi

Taxi Member

Yes, I'm using evolution. I can send emails via postfix. But I'm also getting some 554:

0AC43AD41764 177632 Mon Oct 10 16:57:53 [email protected]
    (host mx00.emig.gmx.net[212.227.15.9] refused to talk to me: 554-gmx.net (mxgmx014) Nemesis ESMTP Service not available 554-No SMTP service 554-Bad DNS PTR resource record. 554 For explanation visit https://www.gmx.net/mail/senderguidelines?ip=85.25.177.45&c=rdns)

or

62E85AD417A3 22110592 Tue Oct 11 16:12:44 [email protected]
    (host mailin.samsung.com[203.254.224.12] refused to talk to me: 554 5.7.1 Rejected because Bad IP)
    [email protected]

fetchmailrc:

set no bouncemail
    poll mail.rothmedia.net protocol pop3
    user [email protected] password 12345 is mm here
    fetchall
    [...]
    sslcertck
    sslproto tls1.2+
    sslcertpath /etc/ssl/certs/

8. pyte

It says it right there "554-Bad DNS PTR resource record". Your PTR Record is either wrong or not set at all.

Here we see that the host mailin.samsung.com[203.254.224.12], refused to connect because your IP is blacklisted in one of the lists that the mail host "mailin.samsung.com" checks.

9. Taxi

Taxi Member

Yes, I contacted my provider to resolve the reverse DNS problem.
    But this does not solve my problems with fetchmail.

10. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

I guess you just might use the wrong mail server name in your fetchmail config file. Run the command:

hostname -f

on your ispconfig server. Then edit your fetchmail config file and replace mail.rothmedia.net with the result of the hostname command.

11. pyte

My testing shows this too:
    Code:
    # openssl s_client -showcerts -connect mail.rothmedia.net:993 -servername mail.rothmedia.net
    CONNECTED(00000005)
    depth=0 CN = mail.rothmedia.net
    verify error:num=20:unable to get local issuer certificate
    verify return:1
    depth=0 CN = mail.rothmedia.net
    verify error:num=21:unable to verify the first certificate
    verify return:1

Your certificate chain is incorrect. If "mail.rothmedia.net" is even correct, like @till already pointed out.

12. Taxi

Taxi Member

hostname -f shows
    mars.rothmedia.net

The strange thing ist, that on my old sever it worked. There hostname -f is sun.rothmedia.net.

Well, I now added mars.rothmedia.net to the certificate mail.rothmedia.net. I copied the .cert and .key files to /etc/postfix on my local machine.
    For the .fetchmailrc entries where I changed to poll from mars.rothmedia.net I'm getting the domain mismatch error:
    fetchmail[121609]: Server CommonName mismatch: mail.rothmedia.net != mars.rothmedia.net
    fetchmail[121609]: Server certificate verification error: unable to get local issuer certificate
    fetchmail[121609]: Broken certification chain at: /C=US/O=Let's Encrypt/CN=R3

And for all other entries where I'm polling from mail.rothmedia.net I'm getting this:
    Oct 14 22:08:32 majestix fetchmail[121609]: OpenSSL reported: error:0A000086:SSL routines::certificate verify failed
    Oct 14 22:08:32 majestix fetchmail[121609]: mail.rothmedia.net: upgrade to TLS failed.
    Oct 14 22:08:32 majestix fetchmail[121609]: Socket or TLS error on [email protected]@mail.rothmedia.net
    Oct 14 22:08:32 majestix fetchmail[121609]: socket error while fetching from [email protected]@mail.rothmedia.net
    Oct 14 22:08:32 majestix fetchmail[121609]: Query status=2 (SOCKET)
    Oct 14 22:08:32 majestix fetchmail[121609]: Server certificate verification error: unable to get local issuer certificate
    Oct 14 22:08:32 majestix fetchmail[121609]: Broken certification chain at: /C=US/O=Let's Encrypt/CN=R3
    Oct 14 22:08:32 majestix fetchmail[121609]: This could mean that the server did not provide the intermediate CA's certificate(s), which is nothing fetchmail could do anything about. For details, please see the README.SSL-SERVER document that ships with fetchmail.
    Oct 14 22:08:32 majestix fetchmail[121609]: This could mean that the root CA's signing certificate is not in the trusted CA certificate location, or that c_rehash needs to be run on the certificate directory. For details, please see the documentation of --sslcertpath and --sslcertfile in the manual page. See README.SSL for details.

13. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

You seem to have created your SSL certs manually and not using ISPConfig, therefore it might be that your certs are incomplete and do not contain the chain certs as required by dovecot. When creating certs manually, then you must take care by yourself of which daemon needs which cert file format as some of them must contain chain certs while others don't and use separate chain certificate files. E.g. dovecot and postfix require it to have a full chain cert which contains the actual SSL cert incl. chain files.

And it might be that your fetchmail system uses an outdated SSL chain: https://forum.howtoforge.com/thread...-expiration-september-2021.87761/#post-427870

14. Taxi

Taxi Member

Thank you so much Till for investing time into my issue!
    I'm creating the certificates via ISPConfig. I uncecked the SSL and Let's Encrypt SSL buttons, saved the domain. And after the process went through I cecked SSL and Let's Encrypt SSL again to force the creation of the new certificate. I verified it also via Webbrowser and Now I can see all three domains in the certificate: mail.rothmedia.net, imap.rothmedia.net and smtp.rothmedia.net.
    Does the new created /root/.acme.sh/mail.rothmedia.net/fullchain.cer contain everything, correct?
    Well, this one I copied to my local machine into /etc/ssl/certs/ AND into /etc/postfix/smtpd.cert.

A /usr/share/ca-certificates/mozilla/DST_Root_CA_X3.crt does not exist.

15. Taxi

Taxi Member

Update: Miraculously after a reboot, my emails get fetched like a charm.

I can't tell what solved the problem, but I'm happy that it all works again.

Many, many thanks for all your help and time investigating into my issue.

Th0m and till like this.