Postfix help with "-o smtpd_client_restrictions=permit_sasl_authenticated,reject"

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by kraxen, Nov 6, 2019.

1. kraxen

kraxen New Member

Hi - new to ISPConfig. I've recently successfully installed it, using this tutorial: layloyar.com/2019/04/how-to-deploy-ispconfig-3-on-ubuntu-19-04.html. I am in the process of learning it now.

However one thing I noticed in Postfix, was that this line wasn't available for uncommenting:
    # -o smtpd_client_restrictions=permit_sasl_authenticated,reject

As things seem to be working so far, its not urgent, but I figure once I fully test the mail system this will probably cause errors. Can someone explain what this line is used for? Should I copy this into /etc/postfix/master.cf manually, or do I have to install install something first?

For clarification, this is on Ubuntu 19.04, on a VPS. Let me know if further details are needed. Thank you in advance for help.

2. Steini86

Steini86 Active Member

http://www.postfix.org/SMTPD_ACCESS_README.html
    "-o" sets an option
    "smtpd_client_restrictions" sets the restrictions on which clients are allowed to connect (following, from left to right)
    "permit_sasl_authenticated" (allows clients, which have authenticated via sasl)
    "reject" rejects all others

The configuration in the tutorial you linked looks strange. Use one of the official tutorials, if you do not know what you are doing.

First three services in master.cf should look something like this:
    Code:
    smtp       inet  n       -       y       -       -       smtpd
    submission inet  n       -       y       -       -       smtpd
        -o syslog_name=postfix/submission
        -o smtpd_tls_security_level=encrypt
        -o smtpd_sasl_auth_enable=yes
        -o smtpd_client_restrictions=permit_sasl_authenticated,reject
    smtps      inet  n       -       y       -       -       smtpd
        -o syslog_name=postfix/smtps
        -o smtpd_tls_wrappermode=yes
        -o smtpd_sasl_auth_enable=yes
        -o smtpd_client_restrictions=permit_sasl_authenticated,reject
    Note that in your tutorial, the smtps and submission daemons are commented out.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
    till likes this.
  3. kraxen

kraxen New Member

thank you!

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The tutorial that you initially used is faulty, the whole mail system can not work when you follow it. I posted a comment there and asked him to fix his instructions. Also Ubuntu 19.04 is not supported by ISPConfig and should not be used, we support LTS releases which are meant for server use only and the current one is 18.04 and the next one will be 20.04