Postfix Loops Back error and weird email headers

Discussion in 'General' started by reimagine, Jul 26, 2006.

1. reimagine

reimagine New Member

I'm getting the "loops back" error on my new ISPConfig setup (running on CentOS). Sometimes emails go through properly, other times I receive the following error message. In this example, email was sent to [email protected].

This is the Postfix program at host domain2.com.

I'm sorry to have to inform you that your message could not be
    be delivered to one or more recipients. It's attached below.

For further assistance, please send mail to <postmaster>

If you do so, please include this problem report. You can
    delete your own text from the attached returned message.

The Postfix program

<[email protected]> (expanded from < [email protected]>): mail for
    domain3.com loops back to myself​

The headers of emails that make it through also display multiple domains. For example:

X-Original-To: [email protected]
    Delivered-To: [email protected]
    Received: from ug-out-1314.google.com (ug-out-1314.google.com [66.249.92.168]) by www.domain3.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id B7AEBF6045A for <[email protected]>; Wed, 26 Jul 2006 10:49:41 -0400 (EDT)​

Any ideas of where to look as I try to fix this? It seems that the main.cf file for Postfix is set up properly:
    virtual_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/virtusertable

mydestination = /etc/postfix/local-host-names​

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Please add:

(the domain that is mentioned in the error message)

at the end of the file:

/etc/postfix/local-host-names

3. reimagine

reimagine New Member

Trying that...

Thanks for the info. I looked at the site settings. domain3.com was a co-domain on another site. I had a www version setup (so www.domain3.com was listed in local-host-names), but no non-www version (so domain3.com was not listed there). I went ahead and set up domain3.com (no www) as a co-domain and it's now showing up it the local-host-names file. I did a postfix reload and I'll keep an eye out for any more errors.

How should I set up co-domains if they aren't going to be used for email. My only options are local mail server or external mail server ... there is no "none" option.

Thanks!

4. reimagine

reimagine New Member

variation on the error

Here is another example of a "loops back" error that I'm getting, but with a slight variation:

Jul 27 20:54:53 ns1 postfix/smtp[19638]: E3C74F604AA: to=<[email protected]>, orig_to=<[email protected]>, relay=none, delay=7053, status=SOFTBOUNCE (mail for mail.domain1.com loops back to myself)​

"domain1" is the same name in both instances, but somehow "mail" gets added to the beginning of the domain name. There are no mail.domains listed in the local-host-names file.

The DNS settings for this domain are as follows:
    A Record
    ip.ad.dr.ess www
    ip.ad.dr.ess mail

Mailserver
    mail.domain1.com @​

Thanks.

5. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Please add mail.domain1.com to the local-host-names file too.