Postfix problem; "ehlo localhost" command does nothing (no output)

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by n0fx, Apr 8, 2006.

1. n0fx

n0fx New Member

I followed the guide and double checked to make sure was ok by following this guide here:

http://www.howtoforge.com/virtual_postfix_mysql_quota_courier

and I used this to setup Debian (Sarge 3.1)

http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect_setup_debian_sarge (the first three pages).

I got the to the part of the guide in which you telnet into the pop server to test it by doing a telnet hostname and this what I get:

n0fx@maximus:~$ telnet xxx.xxx.com 25
    Trying xx.xxx.xxx.xxx...
    Connected to xxx.xxxx.com. (FQDN)
    Escape character is '^]'.

I tried to do a elho localhost but nothing comes up and it gets stuck at this part of the login. I checked my /etc/postfix/main.cf file. I also made sure I put a FQDN (it resolves to my the IP address). Here is my /etc/postfix/main.cf:

# See /usr/share/postfix/main.cf.dist for a commented, more complete version

smtpd_banner = $myhostname ESMTP $mail_name (Debian/GNU)
    biff = no

# appending .domain is the MUA's job.
    append_dot_mydomain = no

# Uncomment the next line to generate "delayed mail" warnings
    #delay_warning_time = 4h

myhostname = xxxx.xxxxx.com
    alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases
    alias_database = hash:/etc/aliases
    myorigin = /etc/mailname
    mydestination = xxx.xxx.com, localhost, localhost.localdomain
    relayhost =
    mynetworks = 127.0.0.0/8
    mailbox_command = procmail -a "$EXTENSION"
    mailbox_size_limit = 0
    recipient_delimiter = +
    inet_interfaces = all
    virtual_alias_domains =
    virtual_alias_maps = proxy:mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql-virtual_forwardings.cf, proxy:mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql-virtual_email2email.cf
    virtual_mailbox_domains = proxy:mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql-virtual_domains.cf
    virtual_mailbox_maps = proxy:mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql-virtual_mailboxes.cf
    virtual_mailbox_base = /home/vmail
    virtual_uid_maps = static:5000
    virtual_gid_maps = static:5000
    smtpd_sasl_auth_enable = yes
    broken_sasl_auth_clients = yes
    smtpd_recipient_restrictions = permit_mynetworks, permit_sasl_authenticated, reject_unauth_destination
    smtpd_use_tls = yes
    smtpd_tls_cert_file = /etc/postfix/smtpd.cert
    smtpd_tls_key_file = /etc/postfix/smtpd.key
    transport_maps = proxy:mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql-virtual_transports.cf
    virtual_create_maildirsize = yes
    virtual_mailbox_extended = yes
    virtual_mailbox_limit_maps = proxy:mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql-virtual_mailbox_limit_maps.cf
    virtual_mailbox_limit_override = yes
    virtual_maildir_limit_message = "The user you are trying to reach has filled its mailbox."
    virtual_overquota_bounce = yes
    proxy_read_maps = $local_recipient_maps $mydestination $virtual_alias_maps $virtual_alias_domains $virtual_mailbox_maps $virtual_mailbox_domains $relay_recipient_maps $relay_domains $canonical_maps $sender_canonical_maps $recipient_canonical_maps $relocated_maps $transport_maps $mynetworks $virtual_mailbox_limit_maps
    content_filter = amavis:[127.0.0.1]:10024
    receive_overrride_options = no_address_mappings

This is my /var/log/mail.log:

Apr 7 20:45:26 kefka postfix/smtpd[2597]: warning: premature end-of-input on private/proxymap socket while reading input attribute name
    Apr 7 20:45:26 kefka postfix/smtpd[2597]: warning: private/proxymap socket: service dict_proxy_open: Success
    Apr 7 20:45:26 kefka postfix/master[2395]: warning: process /usr/lib/postfix/proxymap pid 2631 exit status 1
    Apr 7 20:45:26 kefka postfix/master[2395]: warning: /usr/lib/postfix/proxymap: bad command startup -- throttling
    Apr 7 20:46:26 kefka postfix/proxymap[2632]: fatal: open /etc/postfix/mysql-virtual_forwardings.cf: Permission denied
    Apr 7 20:46:27 kefka postfix/smtpd[2597]: warning: premature end-of-input on private/proxymap socket while reading input attribute name
    Apr 7 20:46:27 kefka postfix/smtpd[2597]: warning: private/proxymap socket: service dict_proxy_open: Success
    Apr 7 20:46:27 kefka postfix/master[2395]: warning: process /usr/lib/postfix/proxymap pid 2632 exit status 1
    Apr 7 20:46:27 kefka postfix/master[2395]: warning: /usr/lib/postfix/proxymap: bad command startup -- throttling

I tried to check the /etc/postfix/mysql-virtual_forwardings.cf to make sure it has the right group and permissions. I also checked to see if there was any typos or whitespace in there.

Does anyone know how to fix this and for the FQDN, I'm using registerfly's nameservers. I put a record type (address) that points to my specific IP address. Am I supposed to setup a MX record that points to my IP (to have emails sent there) or should I use a record type (address) that points to my specific IP? I also have ports 110 and 25 already open and pointed to my machine here with a static IP address.

Thanks.

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Are there any error before these?
    Please compare all your configuration files with those from the tutorial.

3. n0fx

n0fx New Member

What I did is redid all the steps in the guide and I did find a few typos in the config files but I fixed them. Then I rebooted the machine and it still has that problem. I'll attach a copy of my mail.log. I can't seem to figure out what is wrong with this installation/setup. Do you need any other files?

Last edited: Apr 9, 2006
  4. falko

Can you post the relevant parts of the mail log here instead of linking it? That makes it easier for us.

5. n0fx

n0fx New Member

Which parts do you need? I posted the parts where it had errors on them, the only other part would be this:

Apr 7 20:55:36 kefka postfix/smtpd[2597]: warning: private/proxymap socket: service dict_proxy_open: Success
    Apr 7 20:55:36 kefka postfix/master[2395]: warning: process /usr/lib/postfix/proxymap pid 2641 exit status 1
    Apr 7 20:55:36 kefka postfix/master[2395]: warning: /usr/lib/postfix/proxymap: bad command startup -- throttling
    Apr 7 20:56:36 kefka postfix/proxymap[2642]: fatal: open /etc/postfix/mysql-virtual_forwardings.cf: Permission denied
    Apr 7 20:56:37 kefka postfix/smtpd[2597]: warning: premature end-of-input on private/proxymap socket while reading input attribute name

Everything else in the log looks fine.

6. falko

I suggest you comment out

Code:
    proxy_read_maps = $local_recipient_maps $mydestination $virtual_alias_maps $virtual_alias_domains $virtual_mailbox_maps $virtual_mailbox_domains $relay_recipient_maps $relay_domains $canonical_maps $sender_canonical_maps $recipient_canonical_maps $relocated_maps $transport_maps $mynetworks $virtual_mailbox_limit_maps
    in /etc/postfix/main.cf and remove all occurrences of the string proxy: as well, e.g. change
    Code:
    virtual_mailbox_domains = proxy:mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql-virtual_domains.cf
    to
    Code:
    virtual_mailbox_domains = mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql-virtual_domains.cf
    and restart Postfix.

7. n0fx

n0fx New Member

Thanks, I'll give that a try and see what happens.

8. n0fx

n0fx New Member

I commented out the line you specified and took out the proxy in the lines that had it and now it works! Thanks!

9. n0fx

n0fx New Member

Falko,

Now my SMTP server connects but now it doesn't seem to be able to send anything. Even the pop3 server doesn't connect as well. I created a test user/pass and tried to use the login while telneting inside the pop server but it doesn't take the password. I read in another post that you need to send an email to the user, which I did. I added the user by going to the phpmyadmin web interface and I tried setting the user's password with and without encryption but they both still don't work.

This is what happens when I telnet inside port 110:

Escape character is '^]'.
    +OK Hello there.
    user test
    +OK Password required.
    pass test
    -ERR Login failed.
    user test
    +OK Password required.
    pass test
    Connection closed by foreign host.

Under my mail.log it says this:

Apr 11 16:08:31 kefka postfix/pickup[2700]: warning: maildrop/AC724D145A: Error writing message file
    Apr 11 16:09:31 kefka postfix/pickup[2700]: B2E34D145C: uid=0 from=<root>
    Apr 11 16:09:31 kefka postfix/cleanup[2712]: warning: B2E34D145C: virtual_alias_maps map lookup problem for [email protected]

I tried to re-enable the proxy information in again under the /etc/postfix/main.cf file but it doesn't work. I started to get these errors in the mail.log:

Apr 11 16:25:53 kefka postfix/master[2880]: warning: process /usr/lib/postfix/proxymap pid 2957 exit status 1
    Apr 11 16:25:53 kefka postfix/master[2880]: warning: /usr/lib/postfix/proxymap: bad command startup -- throttling
    Apr 11 16:26:53 kefka postfix/proxymap[2958]: fatal: open /etc/postfix/mysql-virtual_forwardings.cf: Permission denied
    Apr 11 16:26:54 kefka postfix/cleanup[2883]: warning: premature end-of-input on private/proxymap socket while reading input attribute name
    Apr 11 16:26:54 kefka postfix/smtpd[2949]: warning: premature end-of-input on private/proxymap socket while reading input attribute name
    Apr 11 16:26:54 kefka postfix/master[2880]: warning: process /usr/lib/postfix/proxymap pid 2958 exit status 1
    Apr 11 16:26:54 kefka postfix/cleanup[2883]: warning: private/proxymap socket: service dict_proxy_open: Success
    Apr 11 16:26:54 kefka postfix/smtpd[2949]: warning: private/proxymap socket: service dict_proxy_open: Connection reset by peer
    Apr 11 16:26:54 kefka postfix/master[2880]: warning: /usr/lib/postfix/proxymap: bad command startup -- throttling

I have no idea what is wrong with this setup, as it doesn't seem to work at all. I'm not sure if running it in Vmware virtual machine would make a difference, as I'm trying to learn how to setup this up first in a test environment before going into production.

Thanks,

n0fx

10. falko

Have you tried to follow the howto as close as possible? It is working if you just copy and paste all the commands from the tutorial (of course, you must replace passwords, etc. appropriately) and do nothing else.

11. n0fx

n0fx New Member

I managed to get it to work with the proxy information included by reinstalling the entire setup. I guess the first time around something must of permanently got messed up.

I have a quesiton regarding the virtual domains that the guide allows you to do. For the particular machine that you are going to set this up, can you also host the email for that virtual domain on the machine, for instance, if the domain for the machine is kefka.happygolucky.com and you want to host emails for happygolucky.com, can you do that or do you need to setup the machine to use a different fully qualified domain name (ie. springfield.another domain.com)? I can't seem to send or receive if I setup the mail server with the same virtual domain name as the email I want to receive on it.

Thanks.

12. falko

You must not have domains in the mydestination line in /etc/postfix/main.cf that you want to use for virtual hosting.
    If you have kefka.happygolucky.com in mydestination, you should be able to use happygolucky.com for virtual hosting as it's different from kefka.happygolucky.com.

13. n0fx

n0fx New Member

But if the machine's hostname is kefka.happygolucky.com and I'm trying to host happygolucky.com emails via virtual hosting, will that work or will the machine's hostname have be totally different (not happygolucky.com) to work?

Thanks for the replies!

14. falko

Yes, as I've posted already.

15. n0fx

n0fx New Member

Ok, thanks for the help.