postfix rejecting mail from another postfix server on same network

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by firepages, Aug 3, 2020.

1. firepages

firepages New Member

Hi, I have 2 x debian servers mail.one.com and mail.two.com they both send and receive email fine outside of the local network however mail.one.com can not send mail to a domain on mail.two.com and vice-versa
    If I telnet from mail.one.net to mail.two.net 25 it just hangs, same in reverse,
    I have added both local and public ip address's to mynetworks
    telnetting using the local (192...) network also works fine.

I CAN make it work by adding a domain from mail.one.com to hosts file in mail.two.com (resolving the local network address) but this means I have to do this for each domain on each server and I am sure I should not have to do this... any ideas ? ... it is not a firewall/fail2ban issue, DNS appears to be fine for all domains - it is only server to server email that is not woeking.
    Any pointers appreciated.

2. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Is the only route between the two mail hosts in the local network? For mail to work they need a route between their public IP -addresses.

3. firepages

firepages New Member

aha, ok , I can ssh between hosts using local network ip but not via public IP so that makes sense.... they are on some older vmware infrastructure and I assume I will have to do something with the edge gateway... googling now.
    Thanks for that ... I was looking for some firewall or postfix issue but I think you are on the right track.