Postfix sendmail problem.

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by mtyme, Jun 13, 2007.

1. mtyme

mtyme New Member

I've been reading through these forums for a couple days now trying different things to resolve my problem with no luck.

I followed the perfect setup guide and have had my ispconfig server running fine for a few months now. However I have noticed that I'm unable to send mail to certain domains such as AOL I guess because they block IP ranges that are considered residential. So I was going to use my provider's smtp to relay through, but haven't been able to get it working.

I followed the directions listed here which would result in "relay access denied" errors. After talking to my ISP's support, they wanted me to specify port 557. I couldn't find any place to specify the port, so I put it after the smtp name, smtp.mailserver.com:557. After that, I didn't get the relay access denied message, but noone is receiving email from me either. Not even email users that worked prior to me trying to use my ISP's smtp server.

After doing some more reading I came across a post saying to look up my domain at dnsreport.com. I noticed that under MX Category it failed with:

ERROR: I couldn't find any MX records for millerx3.com. If you want to receive E-mail on this domain, you should have MX record(s). Without any MX records, mailservers should attempt to deliver mail to the A record for millerx3.com. I can't continue in a case like this, so I'm assuming you don't receive mail on this domain.

And for the Mail connect to mail servers it failed with:

ERROR: I could not find any mailservers for millerx3.com.

I'm using my domain provider's nameservers and before I tried to add my ISP's smtp I was able to send and receive mail to/from mostly everyone so does that mean that I do in fact have an mx record? And does this even have anything to do with my problem?

I'm just really confused at this point and not sure what to even try next.

2. mtyme

mtyme New Member

I went in to the DNS setup in ISPConfig and created a new DNS entry for my site and added a MX record. That fixed the issue with dnsreport not showing an mx record, but that didn't fix the sending to aol issue. I still get, "refused to talk to me" errors from aol's mailserver.

Also, I took out the lines for using my ISP's smtp server to send mail through, and a bunch of emails I sent last night went through. I guess they were hung or delayed in a queue or something. So maybe somethings not right with the way I set that up or ..I don't know. I'm grasping at straws at this poing. :confused:

3. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Please check that your IP address has a reverse DNS record that matches the hostname of your server and that your server is not hosted on a dynamic IP address and that your IP is not blacklisted.

4. mtyme

mtyme New Member

Yeah the reverse DNS is OK, however my IP is catagorized as dynamic IP because it's in a dynamic IP range, even though it's a staic IP. That's why I was wanting to use my ISP's smtp to relay through but I haven't had any luck with that.

5. mtyme

mtyme New Member

OK I've made some progress. My issue with the relay access denied was because I was using smtpd_ instead of smtp_ settings in my main.cf.

Now that that's cleared up, everything appears to be working except the AOL users aren't getting any messages. However I don't get any errors or bounced messages, or delay messages either. The only message I get is certificate validation failed, which I've read is an OK message.

Not sure where to go next if I'm not getting any error messages. :(

6. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

7. mtyme

mtyme New Member

Yeah that's the guide I followed setting up the relay. And it appears to be working for everyone I send mail to, except AOL users. The kicker is I don't get any error messages in the log or otherwise, they just never get the mail I send them.

8. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Hm... I guess you must contact the AOL support then... :(

9. mtyme

mtyme New Member

Small update, the email I sent Thursday of last week (6/14) finally arrived in the aol mailbox I sent it to on Saturday (6/16). Not sure why it took so long, but better late than never right?

Now I just gotta figure out why my spam blocker blocked an aol email address lol.