Postfix SMTP problems

Discussion in 'General' started by wr19026, Oct 19, 2006.

1. wr19026

wr19026 New Member

I am running ISPconfig 2.2.7, recently upgraded. Server is Ubuntu 6.06, set up using the Perfect Setup. Mailclient used is Thunderbird 1.5.0.7. Webmail used is Roundcube (.pkg install from the ISPconfig website).

Problem:
    When using a mail client from outside my LAN I'm getting the message that the connection is refused by my SMTP server.

Webmail works, and I have not been fiddling with main.cf since I got it to work back in June. As far as I know this problem does not occur using a mailclient inside my LAN.

Connecting to my SMTP server (port 25) via telnet also does not work.

Any ideas what may be the solution?

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

If webmail works and emails clienst inside your lan are working too, the problem is on your router and not your ISPConfig server. Plaese make sure that the pop3 port is forwarded to your ISPConfig server properly.

3. wr19026

wr19026 New Member

Well the router/DSL modem is forwarding all requests to my server. It's not that I cannot receive mail; that I can.

Also, I have an off-site backupserver that runs DenyHosts. In the denyhosts file I tell it so send e-mail of new rejections using my SMTP server with the appropriate login etc.

Interestingly enough that worked on the 16th as I have mails telling me that new IP addresses have been banned. My upgrade took place well before the 16th.

It's not the POP3 port; it really is the SMTP port that cannot be reached from outside my LAN.

Hope this info helps.

4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Please make sure your ISP doesn't block port 25. Also double-check your router settings.

5. wr19026

wr19026 New Member

Well as it turns out my ISP is blocking port 25. It explains my problems. The interesting thing though is that my backup server can connect and send mail.

Would changing the SMTP port be an option and if yes, how do I go about it?

6. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Changing the post is no option because no other server will know that you changed it.

7. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff