Postfix, squirrelmail IN, OUT OK cant send from outlook

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by almeister9, Sep 22, 2008.

1. almeister9

almeister9 Member

I have successfully completed the Howto by Falko on mail server on Ubuntu 8.04 with virtual domains.
    I can administer with phpmyadmin.
    I can log into squirrelmail and can send to external email addresses. I can send from external email and it is received in squirrelmail. I have tried to setup outlook to connect to it (on same LAN) and I can download the emails to outlook OK but I cant send.
    I get a "network password" popup which doesnt accept my username (email account) and password. I know these are correct because I can log into squirrelmail with them and outlook can use them to get mail via POP3.

my mail log says this
    I noticed in /var/log/auth.log

my /etc/pam.d/smtp
    (usernames and passwords are correct but edited in post)
    /etc/postfix/sasl/smtpd.conf
    EVERYTHING else is working though.

In outlook I have enabled "SMTP requires authentication" but no joy.
    in the setup I have ticked "outgoing server use same credntials as incoming"

I am so close now it hurts.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanx in Advance.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2008
  2. almeister9

almeister9 Member

Grrrrrr....but at least know I think I know

As I read in another post, my mail_admin's password has a '#' character in it
    so in /etc/pam.d/smtp, everything after the start of the password is ignored, hence "db" is not set. I am getting so used to reformatting and doing it again that I think it will be quicker than trying to find all the instances and changing them. It makes sense though.
    We live, we learn.
    Cheers all.