Postfix/Virtual Domains/AD

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by LordJ, Feb 3, 2011.

1. LordJ

LordJ New Member

Hey Guys,

I have hit a dead spot on our new email server project and the deadline is fast approaching. Any help would be great.

Data:
    External Domain : julian.com
    Internal AD Domain : julian.local
    Old Mail Server: mail.julian.com
    New Mail Server: iosmail.julian.local

The old infrastructure did not have a AD domain so the email was going straight to the Old Mail Server. I have now setup a domain for them and everything is going through the DC first.

Using Centos, Postfix and Dovecot through this HOWTO http://www.linuxmail.info/ I have setup the an email server. Where I get confused is do I need to make a virtual domain of julian.com since the internal domain is julian.local?

I have set up the the external and internal MX recorded to point to iosmail.julian.com already. Also its hard for me to test anything because they are both the same email address. Any ideas on how to test this?

As of right now, I am able to send email out to the world through the New Email Server, just whenever I reply it is received to the Old Email Server. I'm not sure if its because its first in the priority or that the New Email Server is julian.local and I need to create a virtual domain.

Just writing this I am confused again. :confused:

Again, any help in the right direction will be greatly appreciated.

2. alleks

alleks Member

If you are using/familiar with CentOS, I recommend you try out the iRedOS it's what you need, give it a try.

It will install everything automatically.

3. LordJ

LordJ New Member

Thanks for the tip! I wish had known about this before. :)

I have got the email system up and running now with the virtual users and domain. Tonight I am going to test the system by turning off the Old Mail Server and I am hoping that the New Mail Server will just pick up where the old one left off. I have modified the external MX records as well.

Couple things that I am not sure of is bounce back and retries. Do you know how those work ie: time frame, how many times, etc? Also what happens if you set the MX priority for both records to 1? Who gets it?

Thanks

4. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Either the first or the second server - this is random and not predictable.