prefix for new databases and Extraction from Web-FTP

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by edgy, Feb 14, 2007.

1. edgy

edgy New Member

Hi,
    I know I can change the new users' default prefix, but what about the database prefix? Can I set it to [DOMAIN] instead of [WEBID]?

Is there a way to extract files from withing ipsconfig like in cpanel?

Thanks a lot for the great software.

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

No, the database prefix is hard-coded.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. :confused:

3. edgy

edgy New Member

I mean if I uploaded a .tar.bz2 file or a .zip file, I can ssh to the server and tar xjf the file from there. But in a world where people got used to cpanel's extraction button, it's very hard to convince customers to use ssh. Beside, I prefer not to give my clients ssh access for security reasons. Or am I missing something?

Accept my appreciation to your work and may be I would be able to donate some money for the features my clients are asking for.

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The WebFTP uses a real FTP connection for security reasons, so its not possible to unpack files.

5. martinfst

martinfst ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

I fully agree not to give ssh access to customers. The workaround is to explain to your customers to extract the files on a local machine and upload them individually.

6. edgy

edgy New Member

So, if my customer wants to install drupal, should I tell him to extract it locally and upload 400+ files one by one?

And if my customer has one big file and a slow dialup connection should I tell him that he should somehow upgrade his connection?

I can do, but I know I would lose him sooner or later.

7. martinfst

martinfst ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

Most ftp clients support multi file upload and/or recursive directory uploads. But I agree this is not ideal. I think the developers made a security decision, so at least for the stable branch I don't see this changing....