Prepear FC3 for ISPConfig install

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by sushestvo, Oct 8, 2005.

1. sushestvo

sushestvo Member

Hi All,
    This is great software and I wanted to use it on my new server I just got. But I'm very new to Linux.
    I have a server with 2 IPs. (209.180.6.79 and 209.180.6.78) and I also have a domain name (mypersonalserver.com)
    Server I have - already includes clean install of Fedora Core 3. No GUI of course - SSH access only.
    In installation Guide is says to set hostname and DNS. I know to set hostname I need to type in my SSH "hostname something" - but what should I type there? My domain? like "hostname mypersonalserver.com"
    And How do I set up DNS w/o GUI?
    Pretty much, before I get to setting up Apt (by installation guide for FC3), what steps should I do and how through SSH? Including DNS, IPs and etc.
    I wuld really appreciate if someone can help me with this and I'm sure this would be useful for other people who will be installing ISPConfig on FC3 or FC4.
    Thank you.

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

That's described here: http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect_setup_fedora_core_3_p3

Code:
    echo server1.example.com > /etc/hostname
    /bin/hostname -F /etc/hostname
    You should use server1.mypersonalserver.com or something similar, not just mypersonalserver.com. You need to create a DNS record for server1.mypersonalserver.com, but not on your local system, but on the name servers that are authoritative for your domain. Please ask your domain registrar how you can do this. Maybe they have some kind of web interface where you can manage the DNS records for mypersonalserver.com...

You do exactly what is described in the tutorial. Starting with page 3, you can use SSH to run all the commands.

3. domino

domino New Member

I personally would have a problem with the how-to if someone already installed FC3 for me. You would have to asses what packages they installed and what you have to remove or recompile so it doesn't conflict with the Control Panel.

4. sushestvo

sushestvo Member

falco,
    thanks for reply!
    my registrar has DNS management.
    SO for server1.mypersonalserver.com I would create an A record with my server IP?
    But what do I do with 2nd IP?

5. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

You can use the second IP for another domain.

6. sushestvo

sushestvo Member

so I was right about A record? That's what I need? I appreciate your help guys.

7. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Yes, correct.

Yes, absolutely. :)

8. sushestvo

sushestvo Member

I've got an error during setup:
    configure: error: The installed zlib version may contain a security bug. Please upgrade to 1.2.2 or later: http://www.zlib.net. You can omit this check with --disable-zlib-vcheck but DO NOT REPORT any stability issues then!
    ERROR: Could not configure ClamAV

So I tried to install new zlib. Apt-get of course tells me latest version is installed, but it's not. So I do:
    rpm -Uvh zlib-1.2.3-1.i386.rpm
    error: Failed dependencies:
    libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.4) is needed by zlib-1.2.3-1.i386
    zlib = 1.2.1.2 is needed by (installed) zlib-devel-1.2.1.2-3.fc3.i386

So what do I do now?

9. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

10. sushestvo

sushestvo Member