Preventing users from sending spam

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by Jemt, Feb 22, 2018.

1. Jemt

Jemt Member HowtoForge Supporter

Hi,

We recently had a server blacklisted because a user's computer got infected and was used to send spam. This is a huge problem. Is it possible - somehow - to restrict the number of e-mails that can be sent per day by a user? Or simply have an account disable automatically if more than X e-mails are send in an hour?

I found this Feature Request: https://git.ispconfig.org/ispconfig/ispconfig3/issues/3875
    Has anything been done about it? If not, what would it take to have the problem prioritised? This is a HUGE problem to us several times a year.

Any third party extensions will also do - we are desperate to find a solution.

- Thanks

elmacus likes this.
  2. Jemt

Jemt Member HowtoForge Supporter

Okay, desperate as I was, I ended up creating a cronjob that runs every two minutes that:
    - Checks the mail queue to see if mails are stuck due to rejection
    - Checks the mail.info log for spam-related errors

The result of this check is written to a file available from a domain which I use to have Pingdom check for an "OK code". If something is wrong Pingdom will send me a text message immediately and I can take action.

This is the poor man's solution but at least we can actually intervene early, rather than finding out 10 days after being banned.

3. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

There are several software packages available for Postfix servers to implement a quota for the amount of email that a user can send. One that I used a few years ago was policyd (cluebringer). But there is other software as well as far as I know, just don't remember the name.

Jemt likes this.