Print Server & Quota

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by Tuxfun, Oct 16, 2006.

1. Tuxfun

Tuxfun New Member

I was following a marvelous How-To in order to set up a print server at my home using Ubuntu 5.10 "Breezy Badger" but in the midst of the effort, was instructed to install Quota. I can't find Quota. When I attempt to perform the instruction in the How-To, the following is the response I get:

root@Arizona:/home/dad# apt-get install quota
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree... Done
    Package quota is not available, but is referred to by another package.
    This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
    is only available from another source
    E: Package quota has no installation candidate

Can someone please point in the right direction to get this program?

Thanks

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

3. Tuxfun

Tuxfun New Member

First of all, I would like to heartily thank falko for his RAPID reply and accurate assessement of my error. I am sure that it is bad forum etiquette to respond so slowly to someone who is attempting to help me. I am sorry. I assure you I got the message quickly but have not had the opportunity to reply.

After correcting my sources.list file, I was able to run apt-get update/upgrade (this took two nights on a 56K modem). After stepping through the remainder of the Hot-To, I can no longer print from anything - at least I used to be able to print from my linux box but now when I attempt to I get an error message

"ERROR WHILE PRINTING"

The only printer available from the Open Office print screen is "Generic Printer" - not my PSC-500, as set up in SAMBA, and when I try to setecting Printing under Administration, I get the error message

"The CUPS server could not be contacted."

I've read the man page for cupsaddsmb and smb.conf. I even downloaded the CUPS driver for Windows but only after expanding it learned that to use it you must have a commercial compiler for Windows - Oh well.

By the way, my /var/run/cups/printcap file contains the following:

PSC-500|PSC-500:rm=Arizona:rp=PSC-500:

Not sure where I took a wrong turn. Any other pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

4. Tuxfun

Tuxfun New Member

I'll try this again. My first attempt got gobbled up by the web site.

First, let me heartily thank falko for his RAPID and accurate assessment of my error. I am certain that is poor forum etiquette to replay so slowly to someone attempting to assist me. I am truely sorry. I assure you I got the response quickly but was unable to replay sooner.

After fixing my /etc/apt/sources.list I was able to run apt-get update/upgrade and obtained quota. After stepping my way through the rest of the How-To I now can no longer print at all. Whenver I attempt to print from Open Office, I get the error message:

Error while printing.

Also, the only printer that is available from Open Office is "Generic Printer" - not my HP PSC-500.

My /var/run/cups/printcaps file contains the line

PSC-500|PSC-500:rm=Arizona:rp=PSC-500:

I have read the man page for printcaps and smb.conf. Due to that reading I downloaded the CUPS printer driver for Windows, but only after expanding all the files did I learn that you must have a commercial Windows compiler to use it - oh well.

At any rate, any suggestions as to what I may yet need to do in order to print from not only my linux box but my Windows XP box connected to it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

5. falko

Do you see any error messages in your logs in /var/log?

6. Tuxfun

Tuxfun New Member

Thanks falko.

I have only looked at the /var/log/cups error_log and here is what I found:

unknown directive AuthGroupName on line 748

I checked the /etc/cups/cupsd.conf file and it has AuthGroupName shadow in the security section as indicated in the How-To.

I also see that after a line stating Full reload is required, the following error appears:

LoadAllClasses: unable to open /etc/cups/classes,conf - No such file or directory

I checked and sure enough, this file does not exist. I found one in /usr/share/doc/cupsys/examples, but when I look in it, every line is commented out.

Finally, I see an error at the end of the cups error_log file that reads

StartListening: unable to bind socket for address c0a80004:631 - Cannot assign requested address

That is the only log file I have looked in so far. Will look at others as soon as I can - kids have been on the computer all afternoon.

Thanks

7. falko

8. Tuxfun

Tuxfun New Member

Thank you falko for the links. I found a lot of good information there - including information on installing a printer, which I am sure I need yet to do.

So far I was able to correct the AuthGroupName directive, and it appears that I have also corrected the missing printcap file. However, I am still getting a

StartListening: unable to bind socket for address c0a80004:631 - Cannot assign requested address

I only found one mention of this and it was apparently cured by ensuring the cupsd.conf file and the /etc/network/interfaces files were in agreement. I have checked and those files are both looking at 192.168.0.4 (which is my linux computer - the print server).

Any other possibilities?

For what it might be worth, the setup I am using is two computers (one Ubuntu and one Windows XP) contected together through ethernet cards and the printer is connected to the parallel port on the linux box.

Thanks!

9. falko

It seems as if the socket is in use by some other process, maybe from one of your tries. Please reboot the system and try again.

10. Tuxfun

Tuxfun New Member

Thanks falko, but the computer has been re-booted several times. It still cannot "bind" the socket.

11. falko

12. Tuxfun

Tuxfun New Member

Finally Fixed

The problem is fixed. After giving up on Ubuntu, installing Fedora Core 5, buying a switch and a print server, and struggling for many, many hours, I stumbled upon the answer. My antivirus software - Trend Micro - was keeping me from being able to send any print jobs ANYWHERE! I have to assume that all of the different setups I used from all the good advice and links I was given/pointed to, were effective but thwarted.

Thanks particularly to falko for his good help!

Tuxfun

I'm not sure how this message is going to be spelled because this web page has a stupid UIQ window that will not go away - preventing me from seeing what I am typing - REALLY DUMB!

13. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

If there is a problem with one of the banners, please make a post to the "forum suggestions" forum with a screenshot if possible, we will remove the banner then form howtoforge. Most banners are geo targeted, so Falko and I cant see them if there is an problem and they are targeted to the US because we are living in germany.

Thanks,

Till