Problem compiling Kernel 2.6.23.1

Discussion in 'Kernel Questions' started by OverFlyer, Oct 27, 2007.

1. OverFlyer

OverFlyer New Member

Hi,

I'm a newbie concerning linux. Yesterday I tried to compile the kernel 2.6.23.1 with the help of the Tutorial "How to compile a kernel - The ubuntu way" (I actually use ubuntu, im at least sure of that ^_^).
    Make menuconfig worked well, although I have no idea what I can do with the options in the menu. So I just went on. I typed in make (as root of course). First I thought the kernel gets compiled without any problems, but in the end I got this error report:

"drivers/ata/sata_mv.c: In Funktion »mv_slave_config«:
    drivers/ata/sata_mv.c:772: Error: Differentiation of a cursor of uncomplete type ( I translated that from the german error message, I hope its the same in original english )
    make[3]: *** [drivers/ata/sata_mv.o] Error1
    make[2]: *** [drivers/ata] Error 2
    make[1]: *** [drivers] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/linux-2.6.23.1'
    make: *** [debian/stamp-build-kernel] Error 2
    "

I tried to ignore that to and wanted to create the kernels DEB packages for installing. In the end I got the exact same error report as above.

I appreciate any help.

Thanks a lot

OverFlyer

Last edited: Oct 27, 2007
  2. fork

fork New Member

i never had that error btw do you have sata hd atleast? that module is for this hardware Supermicro DAC-SATA-MV8 card

P.S.
    you didn't wrote it but i hope you know that to recompile a linux kernel you need to know your hardware. to have an idea of what do you have try "man lspci"