problem forwarding to aliases

Discussion in 'General' started by bwragg, Jun 8, 2009.

1. bwragg

bwragg New Member

Hi,

I've hit a problem with forwarding email to aliases and just wanted to check if this can or can't be done. We have a user setup on domain1 with a forward setup to redirect mail to a user on domain2. The thing is the user on domain 2is an alias. e.g:

[email protected] -> [email protected]-> [email protected]

Is this possible to do some how? I (as the postmaster) keep getting it bouncing back to me.

Thanks,

bwragg

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

This should work fine. Please post the exact error messages that you get back and the ones from the mail log.

3. bwragg

bwragg New Member

further to this problem I have a client with the following forward setup:

[email protected] -> [email protected]

If you email [email protected] the mail gets delivered but when it gets forwarded to [email protected] it bounces to me as the administrator and doesn't get delivered to [email protected].

I've checked the logs and they show this (I've changed the names to follow the example above):

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Please check the /etc/aliases file if you have an alias there for "usery" that might redirect the email.

5. bwragg

bwragg New Member

Thanks till, I just checked the file and I can see usery's real name is webmaster@.

This is listed in the file as:

webmaster: root

and then later on in the file root come to me:

root: [email protected]

Does this alias file effect all domains that are held on my machine? E.g if the I host 10 domain and they all have a [email protected] setup they will all still come to me?

Thanks,

6. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Yes, if you've disabled ISPConfig's username prefixes (like web1_).