problem installing apt on fc4 using rpm

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by chipw, Dec 5, 2005.

1. chipw

chipw New Member

I just set up a machine with FC4 and am following the instructions found here - http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect_setup_fedora_core_3
    On the 3rd page it shows this command -
    Code:
    rpm -ivh [url]http://ftp.freshrpms.net/pub/freshrpms/fedora/linux/3/apt/apt-0.5.15cnc6-1.1.fc3.fr.i386.rpm[/url]

When I run that command it starts to do it's thing, then quits with 4 missing dependencies -

libreadline.so.4
    librpmio-4.3.so
    librpmdb-4.3.so
    librpm-4.3.so

I thought that above command would install the app plus all dependencies. Evidently that is not true? I also tried the same command with the --allfiles paramater, but have the same results.

So after all that failure I downloaded the .rpm file and put it in the /tmp directory, then switched into the /tmp directory and tried this command -
    Code:
    yum -y install apt-0.5.15cnc6-1.1.fc3.fr.i386.rpm

Which results in these 3 failed dependencies -

librpmio-4.3.so
    librpmdb-4.3.so
    librpm-4.3.so

I have attached a file of the results of the yum command.
    What am I missing or doing wrong?

Attached Files:

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

3. chipw

chipw New Member

I found the web site for yum and the faq and read the paragraph -

"One relatively easy way to fix this is to remove whatever package "needs" the packages that are about to be upgraded/obsoleted and then reinstall that package after you have upgraded everything else..."

So I used yum to uninstall rpm, answered the one question with yes and now yum no longer works. Crap. Oh well.

I am doing a reinstall on FC4 to start over again. Then I'll check out the site you reference for the missing dependencies.

What I don't understand is how can there be missing dependencies on a brand new install?

4. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

5. chipw

chipw New Member

Hmm, don't know why, just did, after a quick glance at the fc4 tutorial I don't see any obvious differences, and the box is running fine, so I guess all is well in the world after all.

I did reinstall everything, it all works, and I used yum instead of apt, if I remember correctly the apt web page says it is being obsoleted.

--
    Chip