Problem installing ISPConfig, then with MySQL...

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by ctroyp, Sep 25, 2005.

1. ctroyp

ctroyp New Member HowtoForge Supporter

Hello, I am having a similar problem with installing ISPConfig...

After entering my MySQL server 'localhost', user 'root', and password 'mypassword', I got booted from the install.

I followed some instruction to change my root password to blank and ran into trouble with the MySQL installation. I landed up uninstalling MySQL and reinstalled it using the instructions from http://www.falkotimme.com/howtos/perfect_setup_fedora_core_4/ , which is how I installed MySQL in the first place. Now when I get to the point where I start the MySQL service, i get:
    Code:
    [root@server1 ~]# /etc/init.d/mysqld start
    chown: `mysql:mysql': invalid user
    chown: `mysql:mysql': invalid user
    Timeout error occurred trying to start MySQL Daemon.
    Starting MySQL:                                            [FAILED]
    I must have lost something during the uninstall and I am unsure what it was...

I tried adding the mysql user by:
    Code:
    [root@server1 ~]# useradd -d /dev/null -s /bin/false mysql
    ...no luck still.

Would anyone have any ideas how to fix this? Then I can get back to my original problem with the ISPConfig problem.

I am a newbie, so bare with me. I have setup everything as detailed from http://www.falkotimme.com/howtos/perfect_setup_fedora_core_4/ , and I am running FC4.

Any help is greatly appreciated...thanks!

Last edited: Sep 25, 2005
  2. ctroyp

Disregard...I just reinstalled my O/S. I couldn't figure it out and never got any replies from any of the forums I posted this problem to...

Oh well, maybe it was the best thing to do anyhow.

Now, I hope I can get past the MySQL login problem during the ISPConfig installation. This time, I set the MySQL root pw to blank for now in hopes that it will not error out again.

Will keep you informed, for those interested.

3. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

It is not nescessary to let the mySQL password blank. Just do not use any special characters. It is safe to use the chars: a-z, A-Z, 0-9 and _ (underscore). There may be many other chars that can be used saefely, bu I've not testd all :D

4. ctroyp

Thanks for the feedback till. I set the MySQL root password to blank to assure that I wouldn't have any problems during setup of ISPConfig. I finally got ISPConfig running last night.

I initially had a password set that included no special characters. For whatever reason, the ISPCongig install would halt when trying to connect to the MySQL db. It said that root@localhost did not exist (something like that).

Anyhow, now I need to change the password in MySQL from blank. I also need to change it in ISPConfig. Now that everything is running, I am unsure how to do this. Can you offer any instruction?

Thanks!

5. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The mySQL password is stored in the ISPConfig configuration file:

/home/admispconfig/ispconfig/lib/config.inc.php

6. ctroyp

Okay thanks! Is there not a password in MySQL--just ISPConfig?

I spent about an hour on ISPConfig last night. I setup a few accounts and such. It seems very functional and easy to use...

Thanks again!

7. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

You can set your MySQL password on the shell like this:

Code:
    mysqladmin -u root password yourrootsqlpassword
    And then you open /home/admispconfig/ispconfig/lib/config.inc.php and enter your new MySQL password there.

8. ctroyp

Thanks much Falko...I'll try it later this afternoon.