Problem Outlook and Certificate of mail users

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by Petar, Apr 5, 2023.

1. Petar

Petar Member HowtoForge Supporter

Outlook: The server you are connected to is using a securoty certificate that cannot be verified. The taget principal name is incorrect.

Description: ISPC 3.2 latest, The server is mail.host.com
    The user has one of the several pages on the server: www.user.com and has several mailboxes, apart from the other customers, and his server for that mater is mail.user.com
    There are also other users like www.user2.com, user3.com and so on... and then there is the first alphabetical user www.auser.com
    All these users have problems with their Outlooks, which doesn't recognizes their mail.user1.com , mail.user2.com servers and sees them as the first website user: www.auser.com

The problem is that these users are POP3 accounts, and that their user accounts and mails have been rsync'd from a cpanel account and the name of their mail server couldn't be changed to anything other than mail.user.com...
    If we change the name of the server, all their messages present on the server will be re-downloaded on all their computers, laptops and so on.

What would be the best way to install these mail domains and mailboxes, so Outlook will accept and recognize their certificates. Right now i'm not even sure if ISPC creates separate mail.user.com LE certs in the background.

What if i make a subdomain of the website like mail.user.com ? LE would be created, but will Outlook accept the certificate and continue to work from where it stopped on the cpanel server?

I took a look at /root/.acme.sh, but i could only see the certs for the websites there.

Thank you in advance for your time, support and communication

2. Th0m

Th0m ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

3. Petar

Petar Member HowtoForge Supporter

Unfortunately Th0m, as you wrote in that tutorial, it is for older than ISPC 3.2 systems.
    As i wrote in the initial explanation, the system is ISPC 3.2 and it already has the postfix certs symlinked to the host LE cert in /etc/postfix.
    I'm tryng to find a solution that wont ask my customers on every start, if they will use the wrong cert for the host server.

I tried to add mail.user1.com alias to www.user1.com untill now with no success
    Any more ideas - or should i go with your tutorial, even if it is ISPC 3.2 ?
    Thanks in advance

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

You can use that guide, please see the note from the guide:

So the case mentioned in that note: "unless you need different domain names in the SSL certificate beside the server hostname" which exactly applies to your problem.

Th0m and Petar like this.