Problem retreiving mails

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by zmat, Feb 25, 2008.

1. zmat

zmat New Member

Hi everyone

I have a local mailserver with let say 20 mail-accounts and a domain name that only support 10 mail-accounts. from my local mail server i can send mails everywhere but cannot receive.

1. My ISP will not change my domain infos to point to my public address
    2. My domain name cannot support more than 10 mail-accounts unless I pay for.
    3. I really want to host my mailserver
    4. I want all users to be able to send and receive mail from Internet not just intranet.
    5. Mails are relayed according to falko's tutorial and work fine.

I'll like to know how to fix this

My mailserver is built based on this tutorial http://www.howtoforge.com/mandriva-directory-server-on-debian-etch

Thanx

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Please make sure that the MX record for your domain points to the right server. You can check that with
    Code:
    dig mx yourdomain.com
    I wonder how your ISP controls how many email accounts you create on your server? :confused:

3. zmat

zmat New Member

My ISP is also the registrar of my domain name. From it's control panel i cannot change the MX record to point to my current public address so the MX records are pointing to an address hosted by my ISP and he want me to pay to be abble to create more mail accounts. since the domain name will expire in 3 years from now I have no choice but to pay or register another domain name.

The domain name was registrated i think 2 years ago. At that moment, the offer of was limited to 10 mail accounts. Today, many registrar are offering unlimited mail account and the ability to change the MX records but my "SUPER" registrar don't want to upgrade it's offer.

4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

If you can't change the MX record, then your only option is to buy another domain.