Problem with alias/forward to multiple addresses

Discussion in 'General' started by pwcr, Jul 7, 2009.

1. pwcr

pwcr New Member

Hi,

like the person in this topic: http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34447 I'm trying to create alias/forward which would deliver emails to two local mailboxes.

I tried:
    - adding 2 aliases with same source address and different destination addresses
    - adding a forward with multiple addresses in destination field, separated by whitespace

Test mails to alias address are not delivered to mailboxes.
    Mail log shows no problems.

After I send the test email, a new folder appears in /var/vmail, named like the first destination address, for example [email protected].
    This doesn't seem right.

The system is Debian Lenny, ISPConfig 3.0.1.3. Mail is setup using this how-to: http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect-server-debian-lenny-ispconfig3

Mail server is ISPConfig *slave* server, the web interface is hosted elsewhere. Mail works ok otherwise, even forwards/aliases to one destination email work ok.

Any ideas?

Regards,
    Peter

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Make sure that the alias address is not the sma ethen the mailbox address.

3. pwcr

pwcr New Member

Alias address in not the same as any of mailbox addresses.
    I did some more testing, interesting results.

If I create (in ISPConfig) aliases [email protected] > [email protected] and [email protected] > someuser@domain2.com, the mail sent to [email protected] is delivered to both mailboxes.

However, if I create aliases [email protected] > [email protected] and [email protected] > [email protected], the mail sent to [email protected] is not delivered to these mailboxes. Instead, the folder /var/vmail/[email protected] is automatically created, and inside it another folder [email protected], and inside that folder the usual "cur" and "new" subfolders.

Apparently there is a problem with 2 aliases with the same name pointing to 2 different mailboxes in same domain.