Problem with e-mail accounts after renaming web sites.

Discussion in 'General' started by pjdevries, Jan 28, 2009.

1. pjdevries

pjdevries Member

I developed a new website for one of my clients, who already had a website www.domain.nl. In this domain there is a user account webXX_user with e-mail address [email protected]. First I developed the site in a temporary sub domain domain.obix.nl, having a user account webYY_user with e-mail address [email protected]. After finishing development, I first renamed the old site, i.e. www.domain.nl to domain_old.obix.nl and subsequently renamed the newly developed site, i.e. domain.obix.nl to www.domain.nl.

The weird thing now is, that e-mail addressed to domain.nl winds up in the old mailbox. So instead of being dropped in the mailbox of user account webYY_user in the new domain, it's being delivered to the mailbox of user account webXX_user in the old domain.

What could be the problem and is there a way to remedy it?

2. pjdevries

pjdevries Member

Problem solved, thanks to Hans.

When I moved the old website to domain_old.obix.nl, I unintentionally ignored the fact that I also moved co-domain domain.nl (without the www) along with it. After moving the new website to the now vacant domain domain.nl, I forgot to also move the www-less co-domain, as a result of which all mail addressed to the new domain was delivered to the (catch all) mailbox of the old domain.

After having moved the co-domain as well, the problem was solved.