Problem with gmail

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by gpetrom, Jan 13, 2017.

1. gpetrom

gpetrom Member

Hi

I have a setup with ispconfig 3.1 in a public server. On a private server i have setup a zimbra server for my emails. I have configured spf record correctly and now when i send an email from roundcube it does not goes to spam folder in gmail. The problem is when i send from my zimbra server.
    I have setup an a record with the public ip adress to zimbra server
    I have setup an mx record and a spf record like this
    v=spf1 mx a ip4:ip of ispconfig ip4: public ip of zimbra ip6:ip of ispconfig
    When i send email from zimbra spf is failing on gmail
    Should i setup spf record on zimbra also?

Thanks in advanced

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

An SPF recordhas to be setup on the dns server that is responsible for this domain name, this is probably your ISPConfig server or the dns server of the provider where you registered that domain name. The SPF record should contain all IP addresses (or hostnames) of the servers that are allowed to send email for this domain. I see in your spf record that you setup ain ipv6 address for the ispconfig server but not for the zimbra server, if the zimbra server has ipv6 too, then you should add his ipv6 address to the spf record as well.

3. florian030

florian030 Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

You don't need any IP in the SPF-Record when you use A, MX or hostnames and every hostname has an A and AAAA-record in the dns.
    v=spf1 mx a a:server2.example.com
    every server listet as mx for the domain can send mails
    every server with an a-record listed in this domain can send mails
    server2.example.com can send mails for this domain and a spf-check should check A and AAAA for server2.example.com

Personally, i don't use ip-addresses in my spf-records. It's a litllte bit difficult to read.

4. gpetrom

gpetrom Member

Hi and thanks for the help
    I have tried v=spf1 mx a -all and gmail did not recognized it I don t know why.
    Correct me if i am wrong.
    That record should mean that when i am sending an email from an ip that is included in my a records or mx records should pass in gmail. Is this correct?
    It did not and the only way that gmail passed my spf was when i put the ips in spf.

I did not tried it like this. v=spf1 mx a a:server2.example.com ~all.
    I will test it and let you know how it goes

5. florian030

florian030 Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Your're right. You should have received a mail from gmail if they reject the. You can also check your mail.log.
    Did you add the spf-record to the domain matching the email-sender?