Problem with maildir

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by thavaht, Apr 26, 2007.

1. thavaht

thavaht New Member

I’ve followed “The Perfect Setup - Debian Etch (Debian 4.0)” and installed Etch successfully – thank you Falko.
    After all I installed Squirrelmail and created some users. Created users can’t log to their mail accounts until maildir is created. Maildir is created when user receive the first mail.
    Is there any configuration so that users can log to their mail account prior to receiving any mail?
    Thanks in advance.

2. Reptile

Reptile New Member

/usr/bin/maildirmake -S /home/user_name/Maildir

try this.

3. thavaht

thavaht New Member

Thanks for replying. I’ve tryied the command. There are no changes.
    The following message is displayed:

Usage: maildirmake [ options ] maildir

4. Reptile

Reptile New Member

well thats the command that worked for me. did you replace "user_name" with a working system user?

When you have done that and the Maildir directory is made (delete it if it was already there , or rename it), you must chown it

chown -r user_name /home/user_name

then do a chmod -r 755 /home/user_name

I had the same problem as you did before i ran this command. remember that squirrelmail is not responsible for creating the Maildir.

5. thavaht

thavaht New Member

I understand that’s not squirrelmail’s problem. What I noticed is that when a new system user attempts to log via squirrelmail the following message is returned:
    ERROR: Connection dropped by IMAP server.

This last until the user receive his first mail, i.e. when maildir is created by the system.

I know I can type:
    Code:
    maildirmake 	/home/user_name/Maildir
    Maildir for that user will be created, but I’m not aiming to create Maildir for each user one by one. The other problem is that after creating Maildir this way, messages to the user cannot be delivered, as shown bellow:

This is the mail system at host mail2.ustm.ac.mz.
    ……………………………………………………………
    …………………………………………………………
    ……… returned message.

The mail system

<[email protected]>: maildir delivery failed: create maildir file
    /home/floriana/Maildir/tmp/1177620066.P5114.mail2.ustm.ac.mz: Permission denied

6. thavaht

thavaht New Member

Problem with mail not being delivered after creating Maildir is solved with chown and chmod ... I should have tried before.
    The point now is how to configure the system so that users can log to their mail boxes, even before receiving mail, without creating Maildir manually?

7. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Maildir is created automatically when the first email for a new account arrives. So you could send new users a welcome mail or something similar.

8. thavaht

thavaht New Member

Would some one point me a way of having a welcome mail automatically generated and deliverede to new users?