Problem with VirtualBox VM of Perfect Server Ubuntu 13.04

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by philgardner, Mar 11, 2014.

1. philgardner

philgardner Member

I've just subscribed and have downloaded The_Perfect_Server_-_Ubuntu_13.04_x86_64__Apache2__BIND__Dovecot__ISPConfig_3___VirtualBox_Image_.zip

I've installed it in VirtualBox 4.3.8 running on Ubuntu 13.04 server with xorg. It complained that it couldn't find the specified physical network adapter, but seemed happy after I'd opened the network settings and OK'd them without changing anything. There were no other visible problems.

The boot process went normally as far as the GRUB screen, but on selecting the first option, standard Ubuntu 13.04, the screen went blank (black), the window resized, and then ... nothing. Just a black screen, no cursor, no text. The keyboard had been captured, but no keypresses did anything. I was forced to close the machine manually from the VirtualBox menu.

I tried booting into the recovery option, but exactly the same thing happened.

I had hoped that this would be a quick way of getting an ISPConfig system up and running, so it's rather frustrating! Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Phil Gardner

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The vmware images use a 64bit Linux. Is your computer using a 64Bit operating system as well, as you can not start a 64Bit Linux on a 32bit host system.

3. philgardner

philgardner Member

Thank you - that was it! The machine is 64-bit, and I had been running 64-bit Ubuntu, but had had to restore from a cloned copy and must have chosen the wrong image - duh!