Problems building php5

Discussion in 'Technical' started by wildgoosed, Aug 21, 2007.

1. wildgoosed

wildgoosed New Member

hey everyone.

i'm currently trying to re-install php5 from source on a fedora core 4 box (yes i know old). reason i am doing this from source is that i need mssql support which isn't included in the rpm i had used before.

i read that i needed to install freetds, so i downloaded the src and did the following commands...

./configure
    make
    make install

everything went fine with that install.

i didn't want to break any other packages that need php5 and that were currently using my rpm build of php5, so i used the configuation commands from the phpsysinfo output + the --with-mssql=/usr/src/freetds on my source install.

when i attempt to ./configure the php5 source, i get the following error...

Code:
    checking for MSSQL support via FreeTDS... yes
    configure: error: Could not find /usr/src/freetds/lib/libtds.a|so
    [root@localhost php-5.2.3]# find / -name freetds
    /usr/src/freetds

any ideas? thanks.

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

I think --with-mssql=/usr/src/freetds is wrong (that the source directory, but you have already compiled and installed freetds). You must find out where freetds is installed (maybe /usr/lib or just /usr or something like that).

3. wildgoosed

wildgoosed New Member

I used the --prefix and was able to install freetds where i wanted to, but now i'm getting a new error when trying to compile php5...

My freetds dir is /usr/local/freetds
    My php5 source is /usr/local/src/php5

Code:
    configure: error: ODBC header file '/usr/include/sqlext.h' not found

4. wildgoosed

wildgoosed New Member

Well I broke apache this afternoon and it took me about an hour to get it back up and running :/

What I'm wanting is php to have support for mssql and mysql. Can't I download modules for this? Why do I have to re-compile php5 ?

Last edited: Aug 21, 2007
  5. falko

Is ODBC installed? I think you need to install the dev version of ODBC as well. Do you see something like that in the output of
    Code:
    yum search odbc
    ?

6. wildgoosed

wildgoosed New Member

I get a tone of results for that search. Any idea what ODBC rpm I need installed? php-odbc ?

7. wildgoosed

wildgoosed New Member

If this helps, heres all the modules I have installed...

Code:
    [root@localhost src]# rpm -qa | grep php-
    php-devel-5.0.4-10.5
    php-mysql-5.0.4-10.5
    php-odbc-5.0.4-10.5
    php-imap-5.0.4-10.5
    php-5.0.4-10.5
    php-ldap-5.0.4-10.5
    php-gd-5.0.4-10.5
    php-xml-5.0.4-10.5
    php-xmlrpc-5.0.4-10.5
    php-pear-5.0.4-10.5

So it looks like I should be able to connect to mysql databases as I have the module installed, but isn't there a php-mssql module?

8. wildgoosed

wildgoosed New Member

I got php-mssql module install via yum.

I was able to get a sample script running that connects to my mssql server. However I'm getting the following error that leads me to believe that the php-mssql module on my system still requires further configuring...

Code:
    Call to undefined function mssql_connect()

9. falko

Please check if the module is enabled in php.ini. If you have to modify php.ini, don't forget to restart Apache.

10. wildgoosed

wildgoosed New Member

I was finally able to get the rpms going for php5, freetds and php_mssql.