Problems connecting to mail server to send mail

Discussion in 'General' started by PermaNoob, Nov 12, 2010.

1. PermaNoob

PermaNoob Member

It was working, but now I can only connect to the mail server to send mail using Thunderbird 3 and port 587--Thunderbird 2 and other mail programs can't connect.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Any errors in your mail log? Is port 25 open? What's the output of
    Code:
    netstat -tap
    and
    Code:
    iptables -L
    ? Please make sure that your ISP doesn't block port 25.

3. PermaNoob

PermaNoob Member

Sending of message failed.
    The message could not be sent because connecting to SMTP server 88.198.**.** failed. The server may be unavailable or is refusing SMTP connections. Please verify that your SMTP server settings are correct and try again, or contact the server administrator.

------------------

Some people are able to connect, others are not. I just spent 2 hours remote controlling someone's computer to try to get it working for them. I deleted the account on the server and reinstalled it, installed Thunderbird 3 on their computer and duplicated my Thunderbird 3 settings as well as trying all possible combinations and even trying to use my login to send mail--no go.

Using port 587. I finally had to set them up to use smtp.gmail.com to send mail, also with port 587, so their isp is not blocking port 587.

They are able to receive mail from the server without a problem.

I am not able to send mail using Thunderbird 2 on either port 25, port 2525 or port 587, but Thunderbird 3 is able to send mail from my computer using port 587.

4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

What about the commands from my previous post? I think it might be a firewall issue.