Problems setting up network printer in Fedora Core 8

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by jkrell, Apr 2, 2008.

1. jkrell

jkrell New Member

First off, let me say I am not looking for a how-to on connecting to a printer that is connected to an XP or Vista machine, which seems quite easy but is not practical for me. Unfortunately when I try to Google my problem, all the results pertain to that and not to my setup.

I have an HP 3030 Laserjet hooked up to a Linksys print server. I know the IP address of the printer, and I can go to it in a browser and access the print server firmware. I can also print flawlessly from my Vista laptop. However, since updating from Fedora Core 5 or 6 (I can't remember) to Fedora 8, I can not figure out how to set up the printer. This was a snap to set up on the old OS, however Fedora 8 has presented a problem.

I have tried virtually everything in system-config-printers to no avail. The farthest I get is that I manage to print a test page but then trying to print an actual document yields no result (printer does not respond in any way and the job just sits in the print queue).

Any ideas? I will try anything. This is my wife's computer and she is very annoyed that she cannot print. I have toyed with buying a better print server, but want to be sure that is the problem before dropping the $$$.

2. o.meyer

o.meyer ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

3. jkrell

jkrell New Member

Olli-

That is what I used my first try (I love the Perfect Desktop/Perfect Server How-Tos). It results in me being able to print a test page, but nothing else. When it scans the network, it does not find the printer. I enter in the IP address and all seems to go OK, but then when I try to print, nothing happens.

Thanks,
    Jason

4. o.meyer

Hi jkrell,

have you installed the dependences (step 12.1) and opened the needed ports (port 161 (tcp+udp) for snmp and port 9100 (tcp) for jetdirect)?

I have two HP network printers (K550DTN & L7680) running without any problems.

Best regards,

Olli

5. jkrell

jkrell New Member

Olli:

I should not need to worry about ports, as I have no firewalls enabled on any of my machines (except my server), as they are all behind a router. So, unless I am missing something, this cannot be a problem for me.

I thought about getting a Jetdirect print server, thinking then I could use the actual HP printer software you highlight in the how-to, but they are so overpriced.

I think this may be a problem with my print server. Can you think of anything else I might try before biting the bullet and paying the $$$ for the Jetdirect?

6. o.meyer

Hi jkrell,

Please paste the output of...

Code:
    hp-info
    Have you installed the recommended .ppd-file? (step 12.1.2 screenshot 4)

And please check again if you have installed all dependences from step 12.1 - you can do this with
    Code:
    rpm -q %package%
    or
    Code:
    yum list installed | grep %package%

Best regards,

Olli

7. jkrell

jkrell New Member

Thanks. I'll run this stuff tonight and post the output.

8. jkrell

jkrell New Member

First off, I should clarify that the furthest I get (being able to print a test page but nothing else) is by setting up a network printer using CUPS (Step 12.2 in your Howto), not by doing what is described in Step 12.1.2. I do not get past the first part of Step 12.1.2, because the HP GUI will not detect my printer, even if I click on "Find Manually". I honestly think this is because I am not using an HP-branded print server. I know third party print servers do not "play nice" with HP printers and software.

Code:
    HP Linux Imaging and Printing System (ver. 2.8.2)
    Device Information Utility ver. 3.4

Copyright (c) 2001-7 Hewlett-Packard Development Company, LP
    This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
    This is free software, and you are welcome to distribute it
    under certain conditions. See COPYING file for more details.

error: No devices found.
    error: Error occured during interactive mode. Exiting.

No, I do not get this far in Step 12.1.2.

The only one that Yum does not recognize (and therefore that I cannot install) is pyqt/pyqt4.

9. jkrell

jkrell New Member

Do you use a print server or are the printers directly connected to your network? The reason I ask is that Jetdirect servers are quite expensive so if there is one that is confirmed to work I might consider getting that instead.

10. o.meyer

Hi jkrell,

yes, my printers are directly connected to the network. And yes, I also think the problem is your print server. Maybe you should look out for a new printer (network-compatible / RJ45) instead a jetdirect server - this could be cheaper :)

PS: pyqt & pyqt are both available in the repository.

Code:
    [olli@server1 ~]$ yum search pyqt
    Loading "fastestmirror" plugin
    Loading "skip-broken" plugin
    Loading "fedorakmod" plugin
    Loading "kernel-module" plugin
    Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile
     * livna: ftp-stud.fht-esslingen.de
     * fedora: ftp.uni-kl.de
     * adobe-linux-i386: linuxdownload.adobe.com
     * updates: ftp.uni-kl.de
    PyQt-qscintilla-devel.i386 : Libraries and header files for PyQt-qscintilla development
    PyQt-qscintilla.i386 : PyQt qscintilla extentions
    PyQt-qscintilla.i386 : PyQt qscintilla extentions
    luma.noarch : A graphical tool for managing LDAP servers
    PyQt-devel.i386 : Files needed to build other bindings based on Qt
    PyQt4-devel.i386 : Files needed to build other bindings based on Qt4
    PyQt.i386 : Python bindings for Qt
    PyQt-examples.i386 : Examples for PyQt
    PyQt4.i386 : Python bindings for Qt4
    PyQt-examples.i386 : Examples for PyQt
    luma.noarch : A graphical tool for managing LDAP servers
    PyQt4-devel.i386 : Files needed to build other bindings based on Qt4
    PyQt-devel.i386 : Files needed to build other bindings based on Qt
    PyQt-qscintilla-devel.i386 : Libraries and header files for PyQt development
    Best regards,

Olli

11. jkrell

jkrell New Member

I'll get a new print server and report back here as to whether this resolves my problems. I will look into a new printer as well, though I have no complaints about mine and, as I recall, it cost $300 (it is one of those all-in-one jobbers). Thanks for your help on this.

P.S. I wonder why pyqt is not available to me. I'll fiddle with this a bit and will check my other machines to see if they yield different results.

12. jkrell

jkrell New Member

Just checking back here. I installed an HP print server (EN1700, I think) and everything works now -- hp-setup is able to detect the network printer, and all machines are printing fine. As an aside, I got an error when I said yes to setting up faxing, etc. but that is not critical for my linux machines anyway.

For whatever reasons, none of my machines will download pyqt or pyqt4. They all say "No pyqt package available" or something like that when I use YUM. I guess I did not need it, since all is working fine, but still strange.