problems with subdomains

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by saco721, Nov 12, 2010.

1. saco721

saco721 Member

Hi!,

I am am using ubuntu 10.4 with ISPconfig3 and am having problems with subdomains.

I have a webserver & mailserver on one machine with ISPconfig3, a separate server for 1st namesever and separate server for second nameserver. I can pick up my domain eg mysite.com via browser no problem.

I have created the subdomain tb.mysite.com from the tutorial http://docs.ispconfig.org/creating-web-sites/subdomains/ added the cname entry using tutorial http://docs.ispconfig.org/dns-basics/canonical-dns-records/
    However when I try to login to that subdomain via my browser it returns could not find tb.mysite.com.

Do I need to have 1st nameserver on same machine as ISPconfig?, does this matter?

If not, do I need to maually add cname entry to zone file on 1st nameserver?

Do I have to wait for the subdomain to propogate?, if not, where am I going wrong?

Could problem be that I didnt use the multi-server setup?, if so can I use 1 server for www, mail, database another for primary nameserver and another for secondary nameserver?

any help would be greatly appreciated - thanks!

Last edited: Nov 12, 2010
  2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

It can take up to 72 hours until DNS changes propagate.

What does
    Code:
    dig tb.mysite.com
    show?

Do you use BIND or MyDNS? If you use BIND, cna you post the mysite.com zone file?

3. saco721

saco721 Member

Hi Falko,

when I dig tb.mysite.com on my primary nameserver running Fedora 11 with BIND9 I get :
    The zone file for my primary nameserver above is :

when I dig tb.mysite.com my ISPConfig server which is on a separate machine to my primary namserver and running BIND9 with Ubuntu 10.4, I get :

The zone file, pri.mysite.com, for the above server is :
    I have tried to connect to tb.mysite.com without success and its been also 48 hours. As you can see above, the subdomain tb.mysite.com has been added to the zone file. Does this mean that it has propogated?
    Thanks for your time, Saco.

4. falko

Why do you have two different zone files for mysite.com? :confused:

5. saco721

saco721 Member

The reason I have two zone files is because I setup a primary nameserver on one machine, then installed ISPconfig with DNS on another. I know this is wrong but I just wanted to see if I could get ISPConfig running prior to reconfiguring my primary nameserver and DNS settings.

6. falko

Well, you must create the record for tb.mysite.com on the nameserver that is authoritative for mysite.com.