ProFTPd Can not log in with Web-FTP or third party clients.

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by tarndt, Jun 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tarndt

tarndt New Member

After creating a Site, and setting the FTP option, I add a user to the site and select Administrator but when trying to use Web-FTP I get the error: "Could not connect as user..."

However /var/log/messages:

Jun 28 20:00:01 hybrid-tech proftpd[8971]: hybrid-tech.com :):ffff:127.0.0.1[::ffff:127.0.0.1]) - FTP session opened.

What is going on???

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Make sure you use the correct username (something like web1_someuser) and password.

That's ISPConfig's monitoring script that checks every 30 minutes if the FTP server is still online. You can change that behaviour under Management -> Server -> Services -> Monitoring.

3. tarndt

tarndt New Member

I am using the user web8_www and the password I have reset several times, I'm sure is correct. The only user who can currently log into sftp is www which is a user account I created to manage our corporate web site and was never managed in ISPConfig.

Anything else I can check? I've read through every ftp post in the forum and have not yet found a solution.

Your advise is greatly appreciated.

4. falko

Do you see web8_www in /etc/passwd?

5. tarndt

tarndt New Member

web8_www:x:10006:10008:WWW Admin:/home/www/web8:/bin/false

6. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Are you talking about FTP or SFTP?

7. tarndt

tarndt New Member

Well I noticed that my www user (which was the original user I created not managed by ISPConifg) can only log in as sftp. Could this be my problem? Does ISPConfig only support ftp?
    And the more important question...What needs to be changed in my config to allow ftp so that I can test this theory?

8. till

ISPConfig supports FTP by default. As SFTP is handled by your SSH daemon and not your FTP daemon, I guess you will have to enable shell access for the website and for the users in ISPConfig that shall use SFTP.

To use FTP, just install proftpd on your server and check the FTP checkbox in the website. Then use an FTP client like WS-FTP or smartftp to connect to your site.

9. tarndt

tarndt New Member

OK, but how can enable plain old FTP from ProFTPd so that I can use Web-FTP? I'm thinking now that this is the likely problem.

Thanks again.

10. till

Enable the FTP checkbox in the website settings in ISPConfig.

11. tarndt

tarndt New Member

OK...So if this still doesn't work...Is there anything else I can check?

12. jenjen

jenjen New Member

More about FTP in ISPConfig

Excuse me for jumping in here, but I have been following this thread with great interest as I am having a related problem.
    With ISPConfig configured for FTP, firewall disabled, I am using the Linux firewall to get some options not available through ISPConfig.
    My web1_users are able to access FTP from within WebFTP and from localhost with a putty connection. However they are unable to access via FTP with a regular client such as SmartFTP.
    Have checked /etc/passwd as suggested. Firewall rules allow 21.
    .htpasswd file under the web1 folder only contains admin:encryptedpassword, whereas on an older server where this worked, the .htpasswd file contained the web1_username:encryptedpassword. Sort of looks to me like this file is not getting edited?
    Any further suggestions?

13. falko

What's the output of
    Code:
    netstat -tap
    ?
    Can you log in with a normal FTP client like WS_FTP or SmartFTP?

14. falko

Please open a new thread for this.

15. tarndt

tarndt New Member

Here is the output of netstat -tap. Also I can't login with ANY user from my system or created by ISPConfig since I installed EXCEPT for the user named "www" which I created before installing ISPConfig. Prior to that, all users could log in using sftp only (no ftp). Now only "www" can log in, using sftp not ftp.

Attached Files:

16. tarndt

tarndt New Member

BTW, results are the same for third party Clients like ws_ftp or cute FTP as Web FTP through ISPConfig.

17. falko

netstat output looks ok.

What is EXCEPT? Can you post a link?

18. tarndt

tarndt New Member

Sorry, what would you like a link for?
    By except I mean the only user that can log into sftp right now is "www" which was a user account I created before installing ISPConfig. Also this user can only log in using sftp (and could always only log in using sftp). No other user (System user or ISPConfig user) can log in using any method I have tried so far, sftp or ftp, WebFTP or Third party clients.

19. falko

I thought that EXCEPT was some kind of software since you wrote it all in capital letters...
    What's in /etc/passwd?

20. tarndt

tarndt New Member

Here is what I assume you require:

www:x:502:48:Webmaster:/var/www/html:/bin/bash
    admispconfig:x:528:528:Administrator ISPConfig:/home/admispconfig:/bin/bash
    web7_bob:x:10003:10007:Bob Test:/home/www/web7/user/web7_bob:/bin/false
    web1_:x:10001:10001:Julie Smith:/home/www/web1:/dev/null
    web8_www:x:10006:10008:WWW Admin:/home/www/web8:/bin/false
    falko:x:10007:10009::/home/falko:/bin/bash

I tried to change the shell for one of the web#_XXX users to /bin/bash but this did not solve the issue. Also checking and unchecking the admin and ftp access options update the passwd file appropriately to include the /bin/bash login shell.
    I sent you a PM with a user/pass to my server if you want to have a look at anything.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.