proftpd *deliberately* disabled in ispconfig but still get half-hourly warnings

Discussion in 'General' started by rachel, Oct 11, 2008.

1. rachel

rachel New Member

So I just installed perfect-server and ISPConfig on a new Ubuntu Hardy system. Still setting stuff up but one thing I'm finding is this:

I stopped proftpd using the ISPConfig ui. And it has stopped. But I'm getting warnings by email every half hour that it's not running. This would make sense if it was *supposed* to be running, but the fact that I deliberately turned it off *in ISPConfig* should surely not trigger those emails?

How do I stop them? Once solution I'm guessing at is to enable proftpd but block it in the firewall. I haven't tried it because it seems the *wrong* solution. If I don't want it running I shouldn't have to have it running. :)

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

You can stop the ProFTPd monitoring under Management > Server > Services > Monitoring.

3. rachel

rachel New Member

I went there first. There wasn't anything listed under there, just an "Add" button. I didn't want to add monitoring, I wanted to remove it, for one service. :)

Anyway, I've "Added" monitoring for ftp and set it to "No". Waiting another quarter of an hour to see if that does it. If so, good, but it's not too intuitive. Perhaps it should indicate what services are being monitored by default. :)

4. rachel

rachel New Member

Also, I do still believe that if ISPConfig *knows* that a service has been switched off (because it's been done in the Management->Server->Services->Services tab, and the select menu for the service shows it as "Off" (ie: it's the user's selection that it be off), then it should know not to keep sending me warnings that it's not running. It's not supposed to be running. :)

I still think that's a bug. :)

If I've turned it off, it should automatically stop monitoring it.

Actually even better, monitoring should be there to throw up a warning mail if the running-state of the service *differs* from the user's selection - either way. So if I've asked for it to be turned off, but something external to ISPConfig turns it on again later, or ISPConfig fails to actually turn it off, I want to know about it. I want to be nagged at until it's fixed (in that case, that the service has been shut down properly).

Last edited: Oct 11, 2008
  5. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

I've added this to our bugtracker for review.